June 1st Quilt Block Exchange

I'm really liking the greens. Just had to stitch a couple of blocks together because I get impatient. I need to finish the blocks for the other swap first but I just HAD to see an actual block with the greens before I went to bed or I would have been awake half the night thinking about it and it's better to go ahead and get it over with rather than debating about it at 3am. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Hi guys
frow.gif
I didn't join the last 2 swaps but have been following. Your blocks are beautiful.

Sorry to read about all the illnesses and surgeries. Wishing all a fast recovery.

I do not belong to any sewing forums and do not sew on a machine very much but when I do I seem to bang along okay. My sewing machine has kinda crapped out and I was looking for suggestions on sewing machines. My machine was a 16 year old Brother. I basically sew straight lines and some zig zag. I am considering a vintage Necchi Lelia 513. Does anyone have any experience with the Necchi or any suggestions for another brand.

I hope its okay to post this here, if not I apologize for bothering you.

Thanks and maybe I can catch the next swap.
Hi Littlechicklet! Welcome! I have 5 machines never are all working at the same time, lol. I am always breaking them. My hubby fixes them for me, thank goodness. A brother machine was given to me by a friend and I love it but the thing is you can't sew jeans as in heming them, the fabric is to thick. I threw the machine out of time or whatever they call it. Anyway I love it for basic sewing. Here's a link:

http://www.target.com/p/brother-del...909301&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10909301

It's a cheap machine but really easy to use and has great features.

I am going to try again, I posted once and the pc ate it I guess because it is no where to be found. I sew on a really old Sears Kenmore, but I have decided to go through my mother's sewing after her being gone several years, figured it was time. She had several machines, I gave one to my son and he has the Singer, I kept her Kenmore, and she had a Brother, these are the types she swore by, but these are older machines and they have metal parts some of the newer machines have plastic parts and don't last as long, well according to the little man I took these to to be tuned up, I would call a sewing machine repair place and ask if they have any used machines for sale. I'm just leery about buying a new machine and spending all that money, I would love to have one of those fancy embroidery machines, but with my luck it would break after one block. If you do find a machine soon we still have openings in the June 1sti swap.
Actually I really like the old machines but they don't have the features like the new ones, you don't have to buy an expensive machine if your just doing simple sewing. But I really like my old Singer 99K, it dosen't have zig zag but it can sew through anything, like heming jeans for one. But for simple sewing like lots of piecing I like using this machine:
http://www.target.com/p/brother-del...909301&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10909301

Just a cheapie but it was givin to me. Of course I would love a new expensive machine. My friend has a very nice machine and years ago it cost $2000 it's wonderful.

I do not belong to any sewing forums and do not sew on a machine very much but when I do I seem to bang along okay. My sewing machine has kinda crapped out and I was looking for suggestions on sewing machines. My machine was a 16 year old Brother. I basically sew straight lines and some zig zag. I am considering a vintage Necchi Lelia 513. Does anyone have any experience with the Necchi or any suggestions for another brand.

If you're looking for a machine and are not familiar with the workings, I do think you're better off sticking with simpler machines. I have an Elna 3007 that I sew on most of the time, but I also have a Featherweight and several treadle sewing machines, which I love to use. I tend to strongly dislike most of the department store sewing machine models - hunks of cheap plastic with a tiny (and getting smaller every year!) sewing area (harp). I have a couple of suggestions - the first would be to find a sewing machine dealer nearby who has both new and older machines. Make sure it's someone who will listen to what you want, and not someone trying to sell you a $3000 embroidery machine just because that's what they make the biggest commission on!

You could look on Craigslist, and see if you can find a secondhand machine you'd like that's in working condition. There are a lot of bargains on Craigslist and other online classifieds. Find someone who will let you try out the machine before you hand over the money, and consider taking it in to a sewing machine mechanic for a cleaning and tune-up if you have any questions about it. I would check in the bobbin case and under the presser foot plate to see if there's built-up lint or broken thread; those would indicate a good cleaning is needed.

You could also just spread the word around to friends and family; maybe someone will find something at an upcoming garage/yard/tag sale and could pass along the info. I bought my favorite treadle machine for $25 at a yard sale!

If you're looking for a machine and are not familiar with the workings, I do think you're better off sticking with simpler machines.  I have an Elna 3007 that I sew on most of the time, but I also have a Featherweight and several treadle sewing machines, which I love to use.  I tend to strongly dislike most of the department store sewing machine models - hunks of cheap plastic with a tiny (and getting smaller every year!) sewing area (harp). I have a couple of suggestions - the first would be to find a sewing machine dealer nearby who has both new and older machines.  Make sure it's someone who will listen to what you want, and not someone trying to sell you a $3000 embroidery machine just because that's what they make the biggest commission on! 

You could look on Craigslist, and see if you can find a secondhand machine you'd like that's in working condition.  There are a lot of bargains on Craigslist and other online classifieds.  Find someone who will let you try out the machine before you hand over the money, and consider taking it in to a sewing machine mechanic for a cleaning and tune-up if you have any questions about it.  I would check in the bobbin case and under the presser foot plate to see if there's built-up lint or broken thread; those would indicate a good cleaning is needed.

You could also just spread the word around to friends and family; maybe someone will find something at an upcoming garage/yard/tag sale and could pass along the info.  I bought my favorite treadle machine for $25 at a yard sale!

I would love to find an old treadle machine (for $25 especially)

I would love to find an old treadle machine (for $25 especially)
My old Sears Kenmore has the motor and belt attached to the side of the machine and I call her ole faithful, she straight stitches and zig zags, but all metal parts and the man that tunes her up and cleans her says she will last another hundred years,this machine is older than I am I'm glad to say. I remember my mother sewing on this machine when I was a little girl, my mother gave it to my brothers wife who just let the kids play with it and I rescued it many, many moons ago, I was offered money for her which I thought was a fair price but glad I didn't sell her. The only thing is she doesn't have her cabinet anymore and have not found one she will fit into without cutting on it, guess I just have not looked hard enough.

Back
Top Bottom