June 1st Quilt Block Exchange

Working away on my quilt blocks, using a new-to-me sewing machine that I picked up this weekend. This is a circa 1913 White Rotary treadle sewing machine, and it sews beautifully!

That is so beautiful! I get so sad when people just throw old things out just because its old. Makes my heart happy to think of where something's been when I use it.

blue crane your in South Africa so tell us about where you live. Oh and we like pictures
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Nothing like a finish to get the creativity going!

I took this off my quilt frame (Inspira frame with a Pfaff Grand Quilter machine) two weeks ago. The pattern is "Hubble" from Miss Rosie's Quilt Company. I finished the quilt around Christmas, and it took me a couple of months to finish it up once I got it on the frame. I finished the quilting about 2 weeks ago, put the binding on yesterday (with the White Rotary treadle) and sent it through the washer & dryer this morning! This is for a friend of my teenage son; the friend is a future Marine. The fabrics used are all "patriotic" themed, and the backing is a piece of camouflage fabric.

Now that this is done, I'm ready to get back to work on swap blocks! Here is the first set, in the light greens; they've been assembled in rows, and this morning I ironed the rows (making sure the vertical seams are in alternate directions to make sewing the rows more accurate). Just have to assemble the rows, iron the blocks, and these are done!

These are the fabrics for the second set. All of the greens are cut, and I've started marking diagonals on some of the light ones. I washed and ironed the white fabric this morning, and this afternoon or tomorrow I should be able to get all the white squares (4" squares for the HST blocks, 3.5" squares for the corners) cut and get started marking those. Looking forward to sewing these on the treadle machine, too!

We live Johannesburg in the suburbs. Grew up on farms so it's been a huge adjustment! Will post some pictures. What greens are we using? I've got some locally hand dyed green fabrics as I wanted something "South African" but am worried now that I've seen those lovely bright greens.

Back
Top Bottom