June 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

Mrs. Broody has decided that three chicks is enough TYVM and has left the other three eggs on the nest, and has taken her babies outside for a walk. I went out to check this morning and one of the eggs has pipped. As much as I told myself I was not going to interfere, here I am with two hatching eggs to obsess over (The third one is dead, but it's been a "maybe" for a week anyway.)

I discovered that I don't have any spare bulbs in the house so I stuck them in a cookie tin filled with hay and covered with a wet cloth in the oven. :hmm I'll let you know how it goes.

Ugh!!! Took 21 eggs out of the hovabator that is staying too hot, have a fan blowing on it, turned the wafer ALL the way down, and it is STILL too hot!!! Any advice? My second incubator is going to be the hatcher, so it only needs to stay cool until Tuesday.

Ugh!!! Took 21 eggs out of the hovabator that is staying too hot, have a fan blowing on it, turned the wafer ALL the way down, and it is STILL too hot!!! Any advice? My second incubator is going to be the hatcher, so it only needs to stay cool until Tuesday.
prop it open maybe? Put it in a cooler room. I had to babysit the incubator every time I used one. :/

prop it open maybe? Put it in a cooler room. I had to babysit the incubator every time I used one. :/ 
I'm afraid that the humidity will dip too low if I do that though :/ The incubator is in the closet in my room so it's pretty cool. I just think the wafer is going out. I'm babysitting it and watching it. I may just put all the eggs in egg cartons and hand tilt in the other incubator since I have more eggs than automatic turner space.

I'm afraid that the humidity will dip too low if I do that though
hmm.png
The incubator is in the closet in my room so it's pretty cool. I just think the wafer is going out. I'm babysitting it and watching it. I may just put all the eggs in egg cartons and hand tilt in the other incubator since I have more eggs than automatic turner space.

Probably the best idea in this situation.

Hi Everyone! So excited to see this thread for June Hatchings! I have a broody RIR hen sitting on 3 eggs. I got the eggs from a friend, so not sure what kind they are. I chose a variety of color...one white, one brown, and one greenish-bluish; so we'll see what hatches! I put them under her on June 6, so Hatching Day is scheduled for June 27...which means we have about a week to go.

As far as experience, this is my first broody hen incubation. I taught Kindergarten for many years, and we hatched chicks each year using an incubator. I'm excited to see how my momma hen, Betsy, does with the whole process! :>

Hi Everyone! So excited to see this thread for June Hatchings! I have a broody RIR hen sitting on 3 eggs. I got the eggs from a friend, so not sure what kind they are. I chose a variety of color...one white, one brown, and one greenish-bluish; so we'll see what hatches! I put them under her on June 6, so Hatching Day is scheduled for June 27...which means we have about a week to go.

As far as experience, this is my first broody hen incubation. I taught Kindergarten for many years, and we hatched chicks each year using an incubator. I'm excited to see how my momma hen, Betsy, does with the whole process! :>

Wow! An RIR went broody. That doesn't happen very often. My first broody hen experience was not a good one. I am very "hands on" and unfortunately the hen involved did not appreciate my efforts to "assist," and she abandoned the nest. I learned quickly and the same hen is broody again. This time I am letting her do her thing. All I do is a daily egg check to make sure that there aren't any extra eggs hiding under her. I was negligent in that task this past week and four new eggs appeared. I guess it is a blessing in disguise since the one egg she was sitting on was sterile and rotten.

With a strong possibility that these are eggs are all in different developmental stages I am just standing by with an incubator incase she gives up brooding. Although, she does seem very determined to become a Mama this go round.

My quail chicks are growing so fast. My F-I-L says they will be full grown and laying by two months old. They aren't even a full week old yet and they have nearly doubled in size. We did have 5 chicks hatch, but only four still alive. The door was left open to the room the brooder is in and a cat slipped in a killed one. This issue has been rectified so the remaining four will hopefully grow up and start popping out more eggs. Here are some pictures of these cute little babies. Sorry for it being mostly their backs. I think they are camera shy.

One of my olives seems to be slow to learn how to walk. It hatched this morning and kind of lays down on its front a lot. The others are running all over the place investigating things. Should I be concerned? It is not spraddle legged, this is different.

Back
Top Bottom