June 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
She does sound like shes still in hatching mode doesn't she.. I wonder if possible, to have them in a slightly larger area where she'd be forced to get up and chase current chicks and show them food etc would help snap her out of it (I'm assuming you are keeping her contained in that crate).
I took her outside and left them in a pen for a few hours earlier in the day, she ended up just sitting and glued to one spot the entire time 😂

However, when I move her chicks, she would try and follow.

11 chicks so far
6 more to go (3 external pips, 3 I opened a little bit to check progress-still alive) 1 quiter.
Overall, happy with the hatch. Wasn't sure if Peter Pan was being successful with any of the full sized girls. 11 of the chicks are half cochin bantam roo, half BO, LO, BSL.

Attachments

• 20210615_073141.jpg
    20210615_073141.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 2
I have a question for all you people with broodies. What is normal after hatch behavior?

It's day 23 and my broody is still sitting tight in place, but simultaneously she's being a wonderful loving mother to her babies (breaking apart food, clucking for them to eat, cleaning them etc). There are no more eggs under her, so I was wondering why she's sitting so adamantly. Is she trying to be a stationary heating hub for her babies? If I take her off the nest, she climbs back in and sits back down...

Photos. because I took a million and everyone i know in real life is sick of me shoving cute chick photos in their faces :oops:
She's probably just waiting for them to get bigger and stronger. If she has food and water close then she probably won't go very far the first week or so.

Six hens, six broodies. I need to put eggs in the incubator, and hope more hatch than have been. I might need to add mix eggs, I think my chicken egg hatching issue is that the pullets aren’t laying good eggs despite being almost a year.

Six hens, six broodies. I need to put eggs in the incubator, and hope more hatch than have been. I might need to add mix eggs, I think my chicken egg hatching issue is that the pullets aren’t laying good eggs despite being almost a year.
Why not use a broody hen? Did you figure out the problem with your incubator?

Back
Top Bottom