June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Looks like I need to get an incubator cleaned up and turned on and checked out. The broody RIR pullet could start hatching anytime and some of her eggs may be several days from hatching when she ups and leaves the nest. It seems other hens have added some to the pile and I didn't get the fence setup around her yet. Can't do it until afternoon tomorrow because the morning will involve treating a Bumble Foot Roo. Some things gum up the works around here more days than I like but there is not much you can do to control the nature of chickens and the things they do.

I took one or two more pictures of them for you guys, here.
20230530_203801.jpg
20230530_203816.jpg
20230530_203730.jpg
20230530_203504.jpg
20230530_203436.jpg
20230530_204715.jpg
20230530_203604.jpg

tiny.PNG

Here is the rooster I am borrowing. I have a different lady who may want him forever, but the lady I got him from said she would take him back if she doesn't want him. She called him "Philip" I am going to call him Tiny because he is not!
I have him in a sleepy box at the moment, but after 7am, I am going to let him be in the coop, he is crowing. He is a big boy, and catching him is a thing, but he doesn't struggle once caught. I show no fear.

I took your advice, and traded her fertile eggs for my plain ones, plus got a few eggs from a local farm...Top eggs are from Tiny's hens, SFH, Isbar, speckled sussex, and I cannot remember who else... Bottom is from local farm, EE.
tiny1.PNG

Last edited:
As we head in to winter here ALL my hen have stopped laying so I had packed away the incubators, only to pull one out again LOL. I have been eyeing off a breeder that crossed naked necks to produce blue laying NN, well finally gave in and now have half a dozen of them plus half a dozen Silkie eggs arriving next week for a late June hatch.

Cute thing happened, I made pies, and ended up having crumbs in the pie pan left, I brought it out to the hens in the pen with Tiny, and he was sitting on a roost. The hens started to eat the pie crumbs, he got down off the roost, to make it seem HE was the one who brought and was sharing the crumbs with them.
Hero!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom