~June 6th Hatch~

The Wolf Queen

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I put 21 splash and blue silkie eggs in one of my bators, and I just locked them down yesterday. To my surprise there was already a big ol pip lol and one more this morning. There appears to not be any problems except for the fact that my humidity keep dropping too low (into the 60s) so Ive sprayed and placed 2 wet sponges on opposite sides of the bator. Wish me luck and feel free to join in. Pics are welcome!!!

I have another thread going..I'm due to hatch on Sun or Mon...I was hoping I would get some early pips too..lockdown last night, but there are a couple that won't stop moving, well, let's put it this way..they are moving a lot! I'm excited.
smile.png

And BTW, I do the sponge thing too when they start to pip, to get that humidity up...I just use two halves, put one in opposite corners..that works, then when they start to hatch, it gets pretty damp in there.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks Cynthia. I guess it just depends on the bator lol. My 2 bators are both the same model of Hova Bator but the one im using for lockdown has a different patern than my other one. This one has a quick temp drop if I open the bator and a slow to fast humidity drop and slow humidity recovery where as the other one is pretty fast in everything lol. Anyways I just decided to let the humidity boost to 80% and leave it with the plugs in becuz in a few hours it will drop so im hoping it will only drop to 70%.
Update: 4 down 15 to go and the one pip I have at the moment will need help to zip. the poor little darlin is too big to really move so I will give it till tonight around the time it pipped last night then I will help it if need be. THIS IS SERIOUSLY CHICKZILLA!!!!!!! I keep having problems with chicks being too large for their egg and I end up assisting them xP. Next year I will be retiring this years roo and will use one of his smaller sons instead to try and prevent this. Anyone else have hatching going on???

Ok, now I am a little worried. One of the roos for this hatch is huge. I don't believe I've ever seen a roo this big. Beautiful big guy. I do have some large eggs, and they are the ones that are moving around. I've also helped many babies out, and like you said, give them time first, but sometimes, they just need that little extra help. I know I've saved many, I've not lost one to helping it out..knocking>>on>>woood!
bow.gif

I went out to the coop today and found 2 babbies out of 3 eggs they where to hatch Monday i am keeping my fingers crossed for the 3rd

Update: 5 down, 11 to go with 2 pips. Although chick # 5 is a bit odd. First off it was way too big for the egg 2nd the mom is a splash or blue that comes from a gal in GA named Amy Crego and the roo is a splash DQ bird from George Milahik. The baby right now looks too yellow to be splash. WTH? Anybody think it could just be an overly yellow splash?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom