JUNE HATCH-A-LONG come join in

@ Usul: Well then congrats on your twins! It would be interesting to know if they come out the same color patterns exactly. Also, you should probably keep a very close eye on them if there's any chance they were not as well formed or nourished by hatching time. A lot of times twins (where twins are atypical births) can have complications due to being undersized or underfed or harassed by others because they are seen as not the same. Good luck with them!

So nice to see the pictures and hear about everyone's new babies. Mine are on day #19 and are quiet so far. I keep watching through the window to see if they start "rocking" but so far nothing. I am having a little trouble keeping my humidity up. I am about to put the whole thing outside since it's about 100% humidity already where we live but I think they would get too hot! Any thoughts about humidity? My wells are all full, and I put a wet sponge in the incubator and I'm not opening it at all. It's just under 60%. Are they going to stick to their shells????

Quote:
I saw someone's response to my question so I added another wet sponge. Of course as soon as I opened the incubator, my humidity dropped to 48%.
he.gif

My kids class hatched a dozen eggs very successfully with the same incubator and they didn't even read the instructions! The math teacher noticed when they went into lockdown that they were supposed to have been fill the reservoirs. They didn't have a hygrometer at all. I am going to trust that it will all probably be Ok. If they all hatch I am going to have to find some homes for them anyway since I am planning on keeping illegal city chickens.
tongue2.gif

Quote:
I saw someone's response to my question so I added another wet sponge. Of course as soon as I opened the incubator, my humidity dropped to 48%.
he.gif

My kids class hatched a dozen eggs very successfully with the same incubator and they didn't even read the instructions! The math teacher noticed when they went into lockdown that they were supposed to have been fill the reservoirs. They didn't have a hygrometer at all. I am going to trust that it will all probably be Ok. If they all hatch I am going to have to find some homes for them anyway since I am planning on keeping illegal city chickens.
tongue2.gif

Some people use the "dry incubation" method for incubation, it's dryer but not dry really. My humidity is at 40% until lockdown, then it goes up to 55%. There are many methods of hatching, & you can read about "dry incubation" here on this thread page 1, post #1. Happy hatching!

My Welsummer appears to be our next 'Mama Hen'. She is sitting on ohh 6 eggs I guess. She has selected a great location for her nest - an old dog crate inside the coop. I don't have the heart to tell my DH - 'cause I am fairy certain he will make me get rid of the eggs and pull her off the nest etc. So, since it is sort of a 'hidden' location where she is at, I'm just gonna let her go with it and see what happens. Who knows, we may have July 4th babies!!!
smile.png

hugs.gif
Ked, I'm so sorry. (Glad to hear you have ducks, though!) Hope the Polish and Pekin do well, too.

I started over tonight, so I'll be looking at 4th of July babies. (Lockdown on the 2nd, hatch day on the 5th... I hope.)

When I candled the old batch tonight it was clear that they had all died. Very few still had veins and those were just the larger ones while all around the egg, the blood had congealed. Also they weren't moving or taking up enough space in the shell... even the air sacs had grown very little.

I'm still rooting for everyone's pips and zips!!!
yippiechickie.gif
Keep those pictures coming.
caf.gif
pop.gif

@ Sweet: We can be hatch buddies then for 4th of July! That is when my pekin mix ducks are due! I am very sorry for your first hatch loss though *hug* Time to tell the human chickies to look but don't touch till they've hatched. I'll be sure to keep you company on the July thread
big_smile.png

@ Fluffy: Grats! Pictures of the chicks!

@ Buffbeauty: You try breaking out from the inside of an eggshell and say it's not hard work! It may be nerve wracking to watch them hatch (I stayed up till like 4am from a 5pm pip for my very 1st chick, could hardly stand it I was so excited) but unless they stop moving or making noise completely, they are probably ok. They'll take a lot of breaks (an especially long one after they make that first little hole) and stuff. Keep us updated!

Three more days till my first lockdown!

Back
Top Bottom