June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Well this baby I had working it’s way out of the shell has done it. I have one more black East Indie. It doesn’t have legs yet so it is staying warm in the incubator for the night.

my next and maybe last hatch of the year will be the 14th- 15th. This will be my experiment black East Indies and whatever chicken eggs make it. I haven’t decided if I will try again on chickens. I will wait till my second attempt gets closer to done before I make a decision. I have mad respect for people that hatch chicken eggs. To me duck eggs have been easier.
I don't think one or the other is easier or harder. I personally would not hatch them together, though. The humidity needed by the duck eggs would, I think, likely kill the chicken eggs--at least in my climate.

I hatched my ducks and sebrights in the same incubator, but the sebrights were 2 days behind in setting so I could adjust as necessary. The ducklings were removed and put in the brooder as soon as they were semi dry so it didn’t get too crazy humid in there. I think it would be different if they weren’t due to hatch close together though...

Speaking of sebrights, these hatched on Friday/Saturday so technically belonged to the May hatch a long but hey. Haha.
68FB81F9-3B0D-4CC0-B544-C6C07F320FD8.jpeg

My Belgian d’uccle, Swedish hedemora, and jungle fowl eggs are all doing amazing still, on day 14. I’m impressed so far because they were shipped eggs. No really bad air cells, no quitters thus far... and, I put these in within about an hour of receiving them. The ambient temps were high so I didn’t need to worry too much about them coming up to temperature. I thought I would try setting them right away and seeing if it made any difference. The duck eggs I had shipped were left to rest for 24 hours and I wound up with a 50% hatch rate, which still isn’t bad, and those eggs had atrocious air cells. Crossing my fingers these little chickies all hatch! :fl

Back
Top Bottom