June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I had a my little Black East Indie lone hatchling finished the zip and just needed a hair of help with the cap. It’s currently finishing up in the incubator while I figure out what to do with this baby.

I mean I have a group of babies with my Aztecs but they will be a week older with the oldest in that group being the singleton survivor black East Indie that will be a week and a half-ish almost two weeks. Think the baby could survive in that group?
I would separate with a view for at least a week. Little ones are easy to kill for even the one week older chicks. So the time is to let them get their legs and to make them "normal".

I am going to try to integrate with a three-week difference in about a week. Not sure how long I will just let them look at each other. :)

I use Coconut oil, warmed, and a qtip. The same thing I do for membranes moisturizing. I have a little space heater nearby, as my incubator is in the basement (64 degrees) and I don't want the chick to get cold. Sometimes it takes a while, but I only free it enough to get out of the egg or to be able to move all its appendages.

Thanks! I did manage to get it loose this afternoon, and cleaned up. It's bobbling around the incubator right now and seems to be on the way to normal 😊

3 black chicks out of 11, this time. The other 8 are yellow or orange-y... Here's a few.
IMG_20200602_185410.jpg

Last edited:
I would separate with a view for at least a week. Little ones are easy to kill for even the one week older chicks. So the time is to let them get their legs and to make them "normal".

I am going to try to integrate with a three-week difference in about a week. Not sure how long I will just let them look at each other. :)
Thanks for the advice.

Well this baby I had working it’s way out of the shell has done it. I have one more black East Indie. It doesn’t have legs yet so it is staying warm in the incubator for the night.

my next and maybe last hatch of the year will be the 14th- 15th. This will be my experiment black East Indies and whatever chicken eggs make it. I haven’t decided if I will try again on chickens. I will wait till my second attempt gets closer to done before I make a decision. I have mad respect for people that hatch chicken eggs. To me duck eggs have been easier.

Today Scruffie took all the eggs for herself, leaving Buffie without any. Ten duck eggs is a lot for one little silkie. We redistributed, looking also for snake in my snakeproof brooding coop.

Well that just sounds like a comical sight 😂 poor girl doesn't know what she'd be in for!

Once it gets dark here I'll be candling my lone remaining egg to see if it's DIS. It's still early day 22 but everyone else is out and fluffed so I'm suspicious. And DH is already probing me about whether I've offered them for sale yet... Hopefully I can find a buyer as I think his head might explode if I add the 19 more chickens to the flock at once (8 5 week olds from May plus June's 11...) :eek: :lau

On Day 14 for my BCM hatch! I candled last night (couldn't wait the extra day) and things were much clearer than my Day 7 candle - these dark shelled eggs are tough! Can't see the veining really, but I was able to see dark masses where they were suppose to be. Need lots of trust with this hatch.

The good news is that out of seven eggs, there was a single infertile and I have only one early quitter. The other five appear to be doing well. Both of the darkest eggs have continued to develop thankfully. Only a week to go now!

CF43E21C-2292-4541-9679-830E687C65B9.JPG

In less good news, I think my recent Wheaten Ameraucana hatch is going to give me four cockerels and a single pullet :( Lets hope the ratio is a little better for these ones.

Back
Top Bottom