June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Today is lockdown for these tiny peepers! Hopefully we will see some little puff balls on Tuesday!!! 30 made it to lockdown...26 have definitive life but the 4 cuckoo marans are too dark to tell.
17123BB9-57FB-4811-8862-20C13CA2910E.jpeg

I just looked in my coop this evening and I have 4 more broody hens! :th
They are "helping you".
Someone snitched, and they then snitched to another hen....the story got around... and next thing you know one of the elder hens told the flock- "Ifn' ya don't go broody mom will spike you on a hard floor with a piece of wood."

Last edited:
Fortunately all 4 of the girls that are currently broody in my coop are all sweety pies. I won't give a broody hen chicks unless she's docile enough for me to tuck under my arm while I sort eggs under them every day. Lol

me too. I’m not dealing with a nightmare pecking at me trying to draw blood. And my docile broody straight beat that hawk down three times last week and after rehoming the chicks has successfully kept her solo baby protected and at her side still so far.

I now have two broodies. One silkie who has been broody for almost 3 weeks, and my BA who went broody today. My silkie is super dedicated, and tomorrow is lockdown for my 12 eggs....a few of which are silkies. I may stick two under her and see if she can hatch them....but I don’t know if I trust her! Lol

Thanks for the info on the sex links :)

Just did my Day 14 candling, and three have stopped. Air cell isn't any bigger, and there's a dark spot floating around. The other four have larger air cells, and the dark spots are bigger and not floating, and they have veins. So, I've got my fingers crossed that the remaining four make it. I'll candle one last time on Wednesday and then put them on lockdown. I'm a bit disappointed that I'm not going to get 7/7, but it's a learning process, and I can always get more eggs from my lady lol.

They are "helping you".
Someone snitched, and they then snitched so another hen....the story got around... and next thing you know one of the elder hens told the flock- "Ifn' ya don't go broody mom will spike you on a hard floor with a piece of wood."

That sounds so much worse to anyone that doesn't know about the mishap with my incubator! Lol!

--- I discovered my incubator doesn't fair well when spiking it at the hard wood floor. Apparently things break when you do that. 🤷‍♀️ oops!

I did a candle tonight on some chicken eggs that I set over a week ago. When I candled the lavender Americanna’s out of the 5 I had deemed survived the night of cold. 2 looked liked they may still be alive. These others don’t didn’t look good with a slippery goo and yellow tinge.

I had six death layers left 3 surprise DL’s and 3 of the set I bought. Surprise extra death layers all red ringed on me. But the three others have bouncing egglets inside.

Back
Top Bottom