June Hatch-A-Long

6-1 and will set a batch on Friday. These will be WLH,RIR,BSL and a meat project. And probably 1 per week for awhile. Daughter constructed an Ohio Brooder (Or like style.) in AG class for us. So we'll have room if everything I hope to hatch does. Just need to build some walls in garage for draft break. Will be 8x8 brooding room.

We will both be hatching out some mixes then! Im sure with 48 eggs some will probably be infertile. But also when they start hatching maybe you can quick pull some out as they are drying to make room. Do you have a turner?

No, I don't have a turner. I actually got really lazy last time and just tilting the incubator back and fourth by putting something under one side then swapping it. It worked really well last time. I do take the eggs out to candle so I completely turn them then, but in the meantime, tilting the whole incubator seems to work for me.
Yea, I do pull the chicks out as they're hatching. I let them hatch and dry off in the incubator, then I move them. That has also worked for me. I know a lot of people say not to open the incubator, even to remove chicks, while there are others still waiting to hatch. I personally haven't had any issues doing this. I open and close it real quick though so it's not losing much humidity.
So, yea, it'll work out, I'm sure. I can't wait to candle eggs but it's too soon. I'm going to wait until 7 days, that way if the eggs aren't developing I will remove them rather than giving the benefit of the doubt and leaving them in a little longer.
Here's my home made incubator filled with eggs

Oh, and I picked up 13 chicks last night :)

i will join! i have a bunch hatching on the 21st, but I just set a doz last night.. so we are looking at june 4th for those babies! They were shipped eggs and 2 were smashed.. so hopefully we get something out of them!

I will also be setting duck eggs in a week... so those would be june 18th?

Are leg and foot abnormalities usually genetic or something done incorrectly during incubation?? I had a lot of temperature fluctuations during incubation (the highest being 110 and the lowest being 87). Would breeding ducks with abnormalities due to incorrect incubation increase the chances of having deformed ducklings, even if incubation is perfect?? Thanks!

Are leg and foot abnormalities usually genetic or something done incorrectly during incubation?? I had a lot of temperature fluctuations during incubation (the highest being 110 and the lowest being 87). Would breeding ducks with abnormalities due to incorrect incubation increase the chances of having deformed ducklings, even if incubation is perfect?? Thanks!

It would depend on what did cause the abnormality. If it was genetic then it might transfer to young. If it was something else that caused it then most likely won't. Although some vigor or fertility may be effected. Problems like mounting and other movements can do a lot to birds. Most people wouldn't try breeding an abnormal bird. If it is genetic it could cause a whole hatch of abnormal birds, that may be most humane to cull them, unless you have the time to raise them by hand 100% of the time.
If you KNOW it was from a post hatch injury that would be different. But if unsure it could be a bad idea.

No, I don't have a turner. I actually got really lazy last time and just tilting the incubator back and fourth by putting something under one side then swapping it. It worked really well last time. I do take the eggs out to candle so I completely turn them then, but in the meantime, tilting the whole incubator seems to work for me.
Yea, I do pull the chicks out as they're hatching. I let them hatch and dry off in the incubator, then I move them. That has also worked for me. I know a lot of people say not to open the incubator, even to remove chicks, while there are others still waiting to hatch. I personally haven't had any issues doing this. I open and close it real quick though so it's not losing much humidity.
So, yea, it'll work out, I'm sure. I can't wait to candle eggs but it's too soon. I'm going to wait until 7 days, that way if the eggs aren't developing I will remove them rather than giving the benefit of the doubt and leaving them in a little longer.
Here's my home made incubator filled with eggs

Oh, and I picked up 13 chicks last night :)

Omg I hope you have a big coop! Your gonna be overrun with chickens! What kind did you get?

Back
Top Bottom