June Hatch-A-Long

So sorry to hear about your chickens @Serenity Lane. Been there, done that, and it stinks! I guess I'll join. I have some bantam cochin, polish, and silkies in my Brinsea due to hatch the 1st. I don't have very high hopes for these as they were shipped and arrived a mess. I have scrambled, detached, saddle cells...pretty much every air cell problem there is these eggs have got it! I also have 21 guinea eggs in a styrofoam bator due the 9th. I'll probably go to the auction and this weekend and get some chicken eggs to finish filling up that incubator :)

How far along are they? Generally I wait until D7 for 1st real candle. The definitive at D10. I wait to pull clears and bad until Lockdown. Don't think I have had a popper ever. This way a I do save a couple chicks that are later in development. And since most of my eggs are colored the extra time helps ME see better inside the eggs. My CX pullet eggs are easiest to candle, even easier then WLH. And ironically better layers right now, go figure.

Right now they are 4 days in. I planned on candling them at 10 days (which I still will) but I am thinking I will do what you do and pull the ones that are developing or are bad until lock down. Especially since this is my first go with incubation. I would hate to throw out something that was viable.

Right now they are 4 days in. I planned on candling them at 10 days (which I still will) but I am thinking I will do what you do and pull the ones that are developing or are bad until lock down. Especially since this is my first go with incubation. I would hate to throw out something that was viable.

Yeah that's always a terrible feeling. I know a lot of people fear an exploding egg, but like I said I don't think I ever had 1 in 8 years. And I your mistaken about dates times etc. you could seriously mess up your hatch. I was thinking ducks were due 3 days prior to actual hatch. And ended up with 7/8 ducks. Paitence pays off.

Yeah that's always a terrible feeling. I know a lot of people fear an exploding egg, but like I said I don't think I ever had 1 in 8 years. And I your mistaken about dates times etc. you could seriously mess up your hatch. I was thinking ducks were due 3 days prior to actual hatch. And ended up with 7/8 ducks. Paitence pays off.

My sons school just threw away 19 duck eggs that were from my calculations 3 days late. I was so upset they they just tossed them!! I def. will be more patient.

My sons school just threw away 19 duck eggs that were from my calculations 3 days late. I was so upset they they just tossed them!! I def. will be more patient.

That's terrible!! I know that my ducks have hatched with no problems up to 5 days late! I hope they really were dead.. Otherwise, they should check the garbage for some ducklings..

I have 37 quail eggs to hatch the first. 12 Ams, 4 silkies, 4 OEs, and 3 sizzles set to hatch the 7th. I am getting 12+ Delawares this weekend and middle of next week I am expecting 12+ polish and 6 EEs to arrive - they will hatch middle of June.

Tonight I will add at least 1 dz. BSL and 1 dz. Meat project birds. The RIR and WLH I let out since they decided that laying without any ranging was a no-no. I needed room for the 45 CX anyway.

That's terrible!! I know that my ducks have hatched with no problems up to 5 days late! I hope they really were dead.. Otherwise, they should check the garbage for some ducklings..

The garbage was picked up Monday. So if they weren't dead they are now. Plus, the temps have been in the high 30's at night. I am so upset that they did that but there is nothing I can do. I posted asking about humidity and so forth because they kept filling the water channels in their incubator. They did measure the humidity so my first thought was there drowned in the shell.
I will never know what happened for sure :-(

Back
Top Bottom