June Hatch-A-Long

I think I killed one of my eggs, I have been candling often, and yesterday I saw what I think is a blood ring, I'm gonna leave it 2 more days, but I'm sure it's gone. Today is day 10, I have 3 more dark eggs that I can't see anything in anymore, though I did see a dancing chick in one on day 6.

The two dark ones are from the same hen, my rooster's favourite, she is my favourite too because she lays the darkest eggs with dark yolks.

Day 19, mom said she saw a little wiggling earlier. I didn't witness any peeps or wiggles. No pips. I'm so anxious!

21 of 24 hatched!!! I will leave the last three in for a couple more days just in case, but I'm stoked with that rate for my first hatch.!!!

I had to help number 9 out but number 10 (of 14) has externally pipped the shell. I have to say as a first time hatcher this is the coolest thing I've ever seen!
Thank you everyone who answered my questions!

I think I killed one of my eggs, I have been candling often, and yesterday I saw what I think is a blood ring, I'm gonna leave it 2 more days, but I'm sure it's gone. Today is day 10, I have 3 more dark eggs that I can't see anything in anymore, though I did see a dancing chick in one on day 6.

The two dark ones are from the same hen, my rooster's favourite, she is my favourite too because she lays the darkest eggs with dark yolks.

I guess, I never attribute blood rings to myself when I run a hatch. They happen in nature too, just mama gets rid of them before they cause a problem with other eggs. I always set any that I am unsure of away on an alone side of the incubator and watch for seeping or signs that they are bad if I leave them in a couple more days to be sure. Sometimes those dark eggs can be so hard to tell what is happening inside!

:ya Everyone!

I'm getting really impatient to see any progress. How soon can I see anything? I set them Thursday morning, lol. So day 3 I guess because Thurs doesn't count. I haven't set my quail eggs yet (they're in a cooler at 70°) but I candled just curious how the spots look and I didn't know unincubated eggs have air cells too! Now I want to see all my tiny air cells on my chickens. I handle the crap out of my eggs but I don't have a turner or fan. If they have no air cells on day 3 does that mean they're infertile?

If you really want to be able to see who etching wait till day 7. By day 5 you should be able to see veins and whatnot. There is an awesome article here about candling and hatching. Let me see if I can find it.

Tha
I guess, I never attribute blood rings to myself when I run a hatch. They happen in nature too, just mama gets rid of them before they cause a problem with other eggs. I always set any that I am unsure of away on an alone side of the incubator and watch for seeping or signs that they are bad if I leave them in a couple more days to be sure. Sometimes those dark eggs can be so hard to tell what is happening inside!

Thanks, it's a white one, and because it was so easy to see I was candling it every day, just to see, which means a lot of handling. I'm leaving them alone now, except to turn them, and you are right, it's probably not my fault.

OMG My husband is going to KILL me. I just ordered 24 Jersey Giants with his blessing. Then I went to Ebay. I bid on 3 auctions of bantam eggs. Pray I don't win all three. He will kill me. He will be gone for 2 weeks driving across country. By then it will be too late for him, but I just could not resist. LOL Maybe I can sell some of them after they hatch

Back
Top Bottom