Jungle fowl hatching thread

Hi there Bullfrog! I have two 8 week old chicks I hatched from some of your eggs. The little roo crowed today for the first time, and the pullet is coming along nicely as well. I'll try to get some good pics to post here.

Since I live in the suburbs I wanted them to be a bit tamer, so I made sure they imprinted on me at hatching. They come running up to me, especially when I bring mealworms! My guess is that future generations will copy what the other flock members do so I won't need to do that for each hatch.

They are really lovely birds! The rooster is starting to color up beautifully. He is going to have white earlobes, but that's what I like anyway. Of course the pulley looks quite different but she is also very beautiful.

Right from the start they seemed to be more active than other chicks I have raised. Even on hatching day, the chick who turned out to be the Rockefeller was quite a bit bigger than the little pullet chick, and his comb development started pretty early.

They are currently being kept inside as they were hatched in the middle of the Virginia winter. I'll see how they seem to do next fall but suspect I will put them under cover once winter sets in.

I'm currently incubating some Bantam Ameraucana eggs and may try some crosses to see if I can come up with a chicken with characteristics like your flock, but who lay blue eggs.I

I also have a pair of Liege Fighters so who knows? Maybe I can produce a 3 foot tall prehistoric-looking jungle fowl with blue eggs!

The chick (Chester) started to crow yesterday!
IMG_2945.jpg
IMG_2938.jpg
IMG_2941.jpg

We took Chester to a farm a friend recommended. He will have 50+ acres and lots of other chickens. it was a really cool experience to watch him grow up.

Back
Top Bottom