Jungle Fowl Thread!!!!!!!!!!!

CochinBrahmaLover

Girl, I'm FABulous
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
Warm.... Under a blanket... In Alaska...
So I saw pictures of jungle fowl and really want one (i know their expensive but i love game birds!!!) So I wanted to see if ANYONE really owned them and to see pictures. Also how are they as a general breed and just learn about them because if I learn enough i may be able to convince my mom to get me some
wink.png

I'm just guessing their a ornamental , honestly i dont care if their hybrized, cackle sells them but their not in season
hit.gif
I love game birds too!!! I would like them pure so I could show but in AK doesnt matter if their a mutt as long as you know heir main breed. Do you know if their very friendly or like twice as mean as OEG's or sumatras? Also do thy need a lot of space (my guess is yes) and are they big? Because all the pictures i see of them make them look small and cute!!

They are not big, are kinda flighty and I believe the ancestor to some of the modern breeds.you'll need to do some research, but u believe cackles birds are hybrids for the most part.maybe someone who has them will post some info.to help you out.

I had a couple of cockerels from the "Farm" exhibit at my zoo. I liked them, definitely eye candy. Size of a large bantam or small LF. Very flight oriented, they were up on the barn more often than not, but they were friendly enough.

As flighty as they were, however, my dog still got them. It seems that a chicken that is running like a bat out of hell can't actually take flight?

"Red Junglefowl are the ancestors of all our domestic chickens. They were first domesticated in Asia, where they are native. Some of the less specialized domestics, such as some Games and the Brown Leghorns, retain color patterns very similar to that of their wild ancestors." - from feathersite.com
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/BRKRedJF.html

I'm not sure what he means by "less specialized". Light Brown Leghorns are pretty specialized for egg production.
But if it's the coloration you are in love with, there are several breeds and varieties which retain the wild type color and pattern.
These are more adapted to captivity, to temperate climates, and more resistant to common diseases.

I would have to say that IMO there are no more beautiful roosters than the jungle fowl and those which have retained that type
- walt

I think less specialized means less changed for a certain thing maybe..? I love the color but I also love the pattern and shape of game birds. Like I really REALLY want a sumatra, their soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want a jungle fowl but their so exspensive and out of stock!! Grr..Their are beautiful, I want a red they look the best!! Why do the fighting mean birds have to be so pretty!!!! GRRR

Back
Top Bottom