Jungle fowl thread

fq123

In the Brooder
May 1, 2015
California
ok to my understanding jungle fowl aren't chickens, but I believe there are certain types of chickens more closely associated with jungle fowl (meaning they kind of look like them) I want to get a name for this breed plz help me out. Also why do people call these chickens that look like jungle fowl, jungle fowls is their a chicken breed named jungle fowl. I have been confused over this topic for so long.

You are probably thinking of Red Jungle Fowl. They are considered to be the primary ancestor to the domestic chicken. They can actually interbreed with domestic chickens, and that is why it is very difficult to find true or pure Red Jungle Fowl. So the breeders who call their chickens Red Jungle Fowl may have a closer link to some true red jungle fowl blood line. The Old English Game chicken breed does look similar to the Red Jungle Fowl. Red Jungle Fowl/chicken cockerels tend to have what is called an eclipse molt after the breeding season in which they molt their colorful hackle feathers. Here is a link to an informative thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/605077/jungle-fowl

Here is a link to some photos of the eclipse plumage that I mentioned: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/BRKRedJF.html

Last edited:
You are probably thinking of Red Jungle Fowl.  They are considered to be the primary ancestor to the domestic chicken.  They can actually interbreed with domestic chickens, and that is why it is very difficult to find true or pure Red Jungle Fowl.  So the breeders who call their chickens Red Jungle Fowl may have a closer link to some true red jungle fowl blood line.  The Old English Game chicken breed does look similar to the Red Jungle Fowl.  Red Jungle Fowl/chicken cockerels tend to have what is called an eclipse molt after the breeding season in which they molt their colorful hackle feathers.  Here is a link to an informative thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/605077/jungle-fowl

Here is a link to some photos of the eclipse plumage that I mentioned: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/BRKRedJF.html

Ok thanx but what are these

It is hard to tell just by looking at him. If I were serious about finding birds as close to red jungle fowl as possible, I would ask the breeder about the hen's laying patterns (hens tend have a more defined breeding season than domestic chickens who lay when there are enough daylight hours.) Then I would ask about eclipse plumage; perhaps not all lines of red jungle fowl display eclipse plumage, but I would still expect a reputable breeder to be able to discuss it intelligently. I would expect red jungle fowl to be smaller than standard chickens and probably more flighty. Honestly, I am no expert. I think there are different kinds of red jungle fowl, but I would have to read up on it more.

That photo looks like my roosters who I inherited from the previous owner of my home. He said he got some red jungle fowl and some Old English Games and they interbred. Frankly, I doubt the original red jungle fowl were pure. If they were he would have spent enough money on them that he would not have let them interbreed. No matter what, they are handsome birds that are lots of fun to watch.

It is hard to tell just by looking at him. If I were serious about finding birds as close to red jungle fowl as possible, I would ask the breeder about the hen's laying patterns (hens tend have a more defined breeding season than domestic chickens who lay when there are enough daylight hours.) Then I would ask about eclipse plumage; perhaps not all lines of red jungle fowl display eclipse plumage, but I would still expect a reputable breeder to be able to discuss it intelligently. I would expect red jungle fowl to be smaller than standard chickens and probably more flighty. Honestly, I am no expert. I think there are different kinds of red jungle fowl, but I would have to read up on it more. That photo looks like my roosters who I inherited from the previous owner of my home. He said he got some red jungle fowl and some Old English Games and they interbred. Frankly, I doubt the original red jungle fowl were pure. If they were he would have spent enough money on them that he would not have let them interbreed. No matter what, they are handsome birds that are lots of fun to watch.
Wait what about light brown leghorn aren't they a very close Descendent the rooster and hen look very similar to the jungle fowl rooster and hen

I found this photo of a brown leghorn online. They have similar plumage coloring but they are stockier and bigger. There are so many breed experts on these forums who can describe the body and posture differences of for instance Dutch Games and American games etc who have similar colors, but they can tell you all about the breed standards.

I found this photo of a brown leghorn online. They have similar plumage coloring but they are stockier and bigger. There are so many breed experts on these forums who can describe the body and posture differences of for instance Dutch Games and American games etc who have similar colors, but they can tell you all about the breed standards.
Oh ok thanx

Back
Top Bottom