Just 10 Minutes Ago, Dorothy Was In A Fox's Mouth

Jerhanner

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
Poestenkill, New York
We got out there in time to scare it away, but it had already carried her to the fence, but left her there when we came charging out.

At first we thought she was dead. I picked her up and held her, and she slowly came back to us. No visible wounds except a little nip off the back of her comb.
She's not making any 'pain' noises when I feel her all over, just a little grumble deep in her chest while I cuddle her.

However, she's having problems walking. It was getting better over the 10 minutes, but it was getting dark so we just locked them all in, with Dorothy in a nesting box cause she can't get up to the roost.

Is it the adrenaline wearing off that makes her walk in a very shaky manner? Or do I need to prepare myself to bring her over to my friend's farm for a quick end in the cone?

We got out there in time to scare it away, but it had already carried her to the fence, but left her there when we came charging out.

At first we thought she was dead. I picked her up and held her, and she slowly came back to us. No visible wounds except a little nip off the back of her comb.
She's not making any 'pain' noises when I feel her all over, just a little grumble deep in her chest while I cuddle her.

However, she's having problems walking. It was getting better over the 10 minutes, but it was getting dark so we just locked them all in, with Dorothy in a nesting box cause she can't get up to the roost.

Is it the adrenaline wearing off that makes her walk in a very shaky manner? Or do I need to prepare myself to bring her over to my friend's farm for a quick end in the cone?
She's in shock.
I'd go out and bring her into the house and put her in a crate on an old towel and toss another towel over the crate to dim it and keep her in a very quiet room. Offer her some canned tuna or cat food and some electrolytes in water and give her time to recover.

Back
Top Bottom