Just 2 birds, What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TeamHolt, Apr 19, 2012.

1. TeamHolt

TeamHolt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    Coastal North Carolina
    I think I have a rooster. We live in a subdivision, so he's got to go. That leaves me with 2 pullets, they're about 9 weeks old.

Would you keep just those two or add 2 more?

We originally had plans for four, so there's space for four (max of 6).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I would add two more. :)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'd just add more birds

4. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    i think it might be good big picture planning to add two more. that way if one falls ill, or otherwise doesn't thrive/survive this singleton will still have a flock-mate. with chickens being a social animal evolving to live in groups, i can only see positive things and better health if there are a larger number rather than just the two. a good quality of life is important.

chickens can and do fall ill and not survive, and that is what i meant by bigger picture planning. right now our flock is going on four years old and we;ve lost one hen with another possibly dying soon, so the number of hens will still be a healthy flock for us, as we chose a higher number at the beginnig.

do you have a local rural community where you can obtain two more pullets? you could then quarentine for a few weeks (highly sugggested) to ensure they are healthy and then add then to your flock.

i'm sure others will chime in too :)

5. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
    Add 2 more young pullets......

The answer is generally MORE..... [​IMG]

of course it depends on your original plans....

6. TeamHolt

TeamHolt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    Coastal North Carolina
    There is a local hatchery, local/rural folks, and backyarders as well. The local hatchery has nothing but chicks and roosters this time of year though.

I'll probably end up with 2 more. Even if I have to start with chicks. My husband will LOVE it!

7. twisted troy

twisted troy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    I would add at least 2 more, if you can't eat all the eggs I bet your dog would love an omelet. And it's very easy to find people to supply egg cartons and sell/give eggs away!

8. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Just keeping the two is fine ~ I have two. Good luck!

9. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    Most of us always say More more more ..lol If you have the room and are allowed why not : ) Just as easy to feed and water 4 as it is to do two lol .. Of course its always a personal choice .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by