Just a few hatchery specific feeding questions

Chick_a_dee

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Peterborough, ON
We're getting the meaties tomorrow, We're picking up food at the co-op, and already have vitamin supplement for them (just the regular kind cause we cant get the broiler kind). This is what Freys Hatchery has to say about feeding them...

"FEED RESTRICTIONS
Start the chicks on 20 or 22% chick starter. Once the birds have reached 5 to 6 weeks of age, feed restriction can be used to slow down growth and promote a healthier bird. Feed what the birds can eat in 20 to 30 minutes, 2 to 3 times per day. Caution must be used, as too little feed can leave the bird malnourished. A vitamin supplement in the water can be used during feed restriction."

So does that mean that I feed free choice until 5 weeks, or do I feed 2 to 3 times a day for 30 minutes only, OR should I just feed free choice for the first week, and the 2 to 3 times a day for 30 minutes until the end of their lives?

Ps, these are White Rock X meaties... if that makes a difference

Last edited:
Personally I would let them eat free-choice for the first week or 2 and then start restricting their feed. Most people do 12 hours on and 12 hours off. We take ours off feed around 8 or 9 pm and give it back around 7 or 8 am.

Back
Top Bottom