Just a horny rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lmw411, May 23, 2019.

1. lmw411

lmw411 Chirping

Aug 9, 2018
    We have a barred rock roo at just over 1 year old. He is not aggressive, except when we are carrying things or if I have a treat. He will run up to me like he is about to spur but if I turn to him he immediately stops. Sometimes he will jump like he is trying to spur. I think this has started to happen more, and today one of our hens was dusting and he just decided to run and chase after her, I presume to mate. He grabbed her neck feathers but she got away. Is this typical roo behavior in the spring? Have you found that your roos get more aggressive with different weather or when you have treats?

Thank you!

Shadrach and anderstr196 like this.
  2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Yes, spring and summer make roosters nutty lol!
    Do you give him treats when he runs up? He might just be exited over food.:)

3. lmw411

lmw411 Chirping

Aug 9, 2018
    Ha! When he charges at me I do my best not to kick him, I throw the treats away from me. He's a big roo, and his spurs are about an inch long and very sharp. I think I'm going to remove or file them down!

janiedoe likes this.
  4. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    He sounds like a butthole.

lmw411 likes this.
  5. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Why not try just offering the treats in an open hand? Better still, offer him the treats and back away and let him call his hens over.

aart, janiedoe, Chickassan and 2 others like this.
  6. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    My human aggressive rooster definitely gets more aggressive during spring. My non-aggressive roos don't have any sort of behavior change.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    janiedoe likes this.
  7. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    I have an Orpington Roo and he does not like my barred rocks. My rocks are kinda bullies, they will chase other hens around the run, for transgressions against them. My roo sees this and he will voice his opinion but can't do anything about it, that is till they get to go free range while I watch. Then the rocks are running from my roo, he very seldom catches up to one of them but he can be sneaky and has on occasion caught them and they get their peck on the back of the neck.
    Point is he may see thing you don't and it is in their nature to keep peace among the flock. Might explain why he did what he did to the hen

janiedoe and lmw411 like this.
  8. so lucky

so lucky Songster

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Testosterone leads to chicken and dumplings.

Celticdragonfly likes this.
  9. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    I would call that cock-a-doodle stew

aart, lmw411, so lucky and 1 other person like this.
  10. lmw411

lmw411 Chirping

Aug 9, 2018
    Ha ha! We are quite attached unfortunately, plus since he is over a year don't they say not to eat them anymore because they taste bad?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: