Just a quick ? for you quail folk

outdoor junkie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Flushing
I have been raising chickens this year and having a blast with it, as are the kids. Especially now that they are beginning to lay. i thought of adding a turkey to my little suburban farm, but the wife wasn't too fond of that idea. So I know I love eating quail eggs, and was thinking of maybe picking up a few quail to add to the flock. Doesn't seem to difficult to build a suitable coop to house them in. My questions are, how many is a suitable number of birds to keep to just add a few eggs to the mix for the family, I was thinking maybe 1 male and 3 or 4 females, would that be ok, or is that too few. Also with this number of birds can they cohabitate in one coop or do they need to be seperated? One last thing can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable website to order some birds from? Thank you guys for any info you can share with me.

stellar game birds is where i'v been ordering from as well as ms shellyd! both of these sellers are great with shipping their eggs and keeping in contact with you during the whole process. plus they are all quality birds/eggs..IMO these are the best two to get coturnix from. i'v ordered from quite a few breeders and since i joined BYC i realized how much easier it is than how i was going about it before.(auctions and lakecumberlandgamebirds) they messed up my order and took 3 weeks to even get them to me with NO RESPONSE. as well as it being nearly impossible to get ahold of them on the phone. for a small family who wants a few quail eggs i would say 1 male per 4-5 females. and if your not trying to hatch then you can have as many hens as youd like. keep in mind they hatch in 17 days as well as lay eggs in 6 weeks min. so even if your not satisfied with how many you get at first you can hatch more with more breeders faster than anything else id hve to say....BTW this applies for coturnix quail only.

Thank you, that is the species I was looking into anyhow. Thanks again for the info. I'm going to look a tthem sites right now.

Back
Top Bottom