just a quick question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by merdock67, Aug 7, 2011.

1. merdock67

merdock67 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    I am new to raising chickens, but is there a problem with just cutting off the head instead of letting them bleed out?

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I remember my Opa just cutting off the head and watching the headless chicken run around the yard. I don't know what he did with it after that but he was a butcher for Piggly Wiggly food store. I was only five years old but I remember this like it was yesterday.

3. merdock67

Jun 20, 2011
    Quote:That is what i remember to that is why i asked. It is best memories as a child.... not to sound sick I was just struck by it. I don't know how to explain it.

4. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    LOL...I'm almost 50 and I also remember my grandparents doing this like it was yesterday!! We cut the heads off because we were afraid of missing the vein and causing them undue suffering.

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    My father always chopped their heads off. It was chop, fling, that way he didn't get blood all over himself. I hang them and cut their throats.

6. merdock67

Jun 20, 2011
    Quote:I guess that I just dont understand cutting their throats instead of just chopping off the head. I mean is it better to just hang them and cut their throat? If so why?

7. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I remember grandma wringing their necks like she was cranking up an old model T, [​IMG]

8. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    We've done it both ways and I think either way is fine. It still tastes like chicken.[​IMG] I did notice I think they flap around a bit more when you cut off the head, but put them in a killing cone and it's not a huge deal.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:I agree. [​IMG]

10. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    My little tiny grandma used to wring thier necks...boy was that a sight to see! I don't feel right letting them bleed out...I feel that they suffer more that way...I think chopping thier heads of is the best way...jmho..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by