Just a rooster?

EagleTheHenpecked

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Demotte
I have a flock of 11 chickens, they are about 9 months old and this is my first time raising them. I have one rooster, Eagle, and lately he has become a pain. He was never aggressive at all with any of the people, but now he seems to have this desire to be the ultimate protector of the flock. I've been bitten twice now, but only when i'm actually handling one of the hens. he doesn't squawk or raise his hackles, he just comes up and bites me. I've kicked him quite a few times now because it's getting really irritating. My current problem is that although he doesn't hurt me, i have a 2 year old sister who loves to grab the chickens by the tail and snuggle with them. I cannot allow Eagle to peck her and scratch her. But i don't want to have to chop him if he's just being a rooster. The only other variable here is that when he sees anyone other than me (which isnt often) he will follow them around the run and when they try to come in he'll try to attack them. So what do you think I should do? Is he mean, or is this just how a rooster is supposed to be?

He's just being a typical rooster. By all means, your sister's safety is top priority, and a rooster can really hurt a small child. Maybe you can lock him up when your sister comes to the coop with you, or, your sister will have to stay away from the chickens........

He's feeling his oats and his behavior very well may escalate. No, not all roosters are aggressive toward humans. And yes, there might be improvement in behavior with "training". You might be able to limit his contact with humans to reduce the risk he poses. But when you're talking about a rooster that will be around a 2YO, what he's doing already is not OK. Her face is within easy reach for him and she should not have to be afraid to play in her own yard. My opinion: rehome or butcher.

This rooster is a liability. You don't want him seriously injuring your little sister, or visitors to your place. He needs to go, and I wouldn't give him away or sell him to anyone else. I'd butcher him. There are roosters out there who are not human-aggressive but will still protect their flock.

This rooster is a liability. You don't want him seriously injuring your little sister, or visitors to your place. He needs to go, and I wouldn't give him away or sell him to anyone else. I'd butcher him. There are roosters out there who are not human-aggressive but will still protect their flock.

I'd give him away if the person taking him was planning to butcher him and I simply couldn't do it myself. I get what you're saying about not passing along a problem but there are some folks who can't bring themselves to butcher one of their birds. In those cases, offering a free chicken dinner to someone who can is a better solution than keeping a problem rooster around because you can't bring yourself to do him in.

I've had aggressive roosters before and I had to get rid of them because I got tired of them attacking me. There are nice roosters out there, and I hope you're able to find a better nice rooster than a mean rooster.

I've decided to go ahead and process him. It'll be hard to do but I suppose it'll be for the best. i've decided that maybe i'll collect an egg from each of my hens as he is my only rooster and hatch them out. his legacy would go on without all of the annoying aggressiveness. question though, is aggressiveness hereditary? could i expect all of his offspring to be protective like him?

I've decided to go ahead and process him. It'll be hard to do but I suppose it'll be for the best. i've decided that maybe i'll collect an egg from each of my hens as he is my only rooster and hatch them out. his legacy would go on without all of the annoying aggressiveness. question though, is aggressiveness hereditary? could i expect all of his offspring to be protective like him?

Aggressiveness in roosters is passed on to their progeny. What you'll likely hatch is more roosters that are human aggressive. Just a warning.

Back
Top Bottom