Just adopted a deployed Hero

Yeah I just heard from my soldier! We have a lot in common. Have been married the same amount of years, both have kids the same age and he grew up on a farm so appreciates my animals. LOL

clap.gif
What a wonderful idea! My husband was military, and my brother finished his tour of 'Iraq'.... came home injured, but he's alive. It is so hard for these men and women. Thank you for submitting this.

update---heard from my soldier, he's a 20 year old boy serving in Iraq near Bagdad. Please keep him and all of the people serving in your prayers. Soldier's Angels is a wonderful site...check it out if you haven't already.
smile.png

When my cousin was in Iraq, we sent him care pkgs often. He often asked for things he could hand out to his men, that they would enjoy. Comics, cigarettes, jerky....the fun stuff. It was only after he was killed that we found out he often went without the basics because the Army was not supplying them and we never knew to send them. Here's a tip. Send some basic hygene items too. Travel soaps, purell, deodrants shampoos, wet wipes etc....... I think it is absolutely wonderful what you all are doing.

Angie I am so very sorry about your cousin. What a hero and I NEVER forget if it wasn't for these brave men and women that I wouldn't have the freedom I have.

Soap and basic hygiene items are always good to send. Just a note though, don't send soap with food items, it makes everything taste like soap no matter how well you wrap the soap up.

Also even if your adopted hero tells you they don't need anything, chances are they do and just don't like to ask. I've had a couple of adopted heroes that would rather go without than ask for help with items. Some are just too shy and some don't feel comfortable asking. I send stuff regardless and I know if they don't need it they pass it on to someone else who does.

Quote:
Thank you, AussieSharon, I really do appreciate that. And you gave some wonderful tips. Send your soldiers stuff anyway, chances are if they don't need it, they'll know someone who does. Care pkgs are often shared and enjoyed/appreciated by many.

farm mom, I'm very sorry about your cousin. He and your family will be remembered.

You are right about the army not having enough to supply everyone with what they need. For those who are shy, Soldier's Angels has a survey to send. It is a check list of things they do or don't like or have. It was a HUGE help to know just what Kevin needs.

AussieSharon, I never thought about the soap and food thing. Makes sence though. Thank you...

I am So glad to see you guys doing this! My daughters and I have adopted soldiers every year. I have one position that I adopt any soldier who takes the job and one where I take whoever they give me. One young man was wounded and I lived. I got the sweetest letter from his mom.

It really does mean the world to them and the more the merrier!

For classes, I recommend adopting a unit or a station. That way, god forbid, something happens to one of them it is marginally less traumatic for the children in the class.

My dh is currently in Iraq.

To add to ideas of care packages:

--Iraq has a winter and does get cold. Blankets are really appreciated.

--Those little hot packs that work like cold packs that they can stick in thier gloves or boots.

*You should NOT send hats, gloves...for they are not Army issued.

--You may send plain white athletic socks as long as they do not have a logo on them--this they can wear during pt-physical training and down time.

--Their boot laces wear out easily because of the sand---you can find the laces they need on some of the Treats for troops.com kind of places.

--ziploc bags
--tall kitchen bags (they have garbage too and the px where my husband is has been sold out)
--wet wipes and lots of them, my dh prefers the ones that come in a little bag like a travel pack he can stick in one of his many pockets.
--tissue
--batteries (depends on what they have but my dh has used them for his flashlight, radio, cd player, game players...and even in the humvee equiptment)
--dvd movies
--tan or black chord--they use for multiple things like tieing their dog tags together to keep them from clinking.
--trail mix
--pringles chips travel well
--home made cookies/brownies
--my dh has even asked for laundry detergent
--beef jerkey
--*any soaps, deoderants...should be UNSCENTED.
--dry drink mixes like Gatorade.
--my dh bought a used microwave from the troops from Georgia for $60 and he sometimes is on missions that don't get back when the chow hall is open so i have sent him soup packets, easy mac & cheese, and instant oatmeal.
along with 2 plastic micro safe bowls
---i have sent tea and honey
--deck of cards & dice...

for fun we have made some boxes have a theme:

western--#camo# bandanas, beef jerky, and western movies-Clint eastwood has a bunch...

halloween we made a bug box: plastic bugs from the dollar store so dh could slip them in unsuspecting shoes or work spaces for a laugh and scary movies like arachnophobia, bug candy--gummy worms, gummy rats...

sports: big league chew bubble gum and soft balls and a football (dh was sent a mit on his birthday) and Field of Dreams movie.

christmas time send little tiny trees and a few #decorations#...

*******AND I have heard that our female soldiers are in need of feminine products, tampons and pads, motrin.

Hair tie backs.

***And those who have glasses also appreciate glass cleaning products and repair kits.

Hope this helps.

me,
g

# marks corrections.

also stationary, journals, pens, permanent marker pens, duct tape, and international calling cards (dh said the only ones that worked for him on those lines were the AT&T---he couldn't get the other ones to work.)

and nuts are good too---besides peanut, cashew...dh and his buddies like the sunflower seeds in the shell...keeps them busy i guess....oh and gum....my dh is a stickler with tooth care, he likes toothpicks, dental picks, paste, toothbrushes, floss, mouth wash....also safety pins, tweezers, nail clippers and files are nice to have. i've also sent tubes of neosporin and bandaids.

we take a lot of things for granted...when we need something we just go to the closet or cupboard and get it...and if we're out we go a mile, maybe 10 miles and get what ever we need.

sometimes the lines at the px can be long and dh can stand there for an hour and never get up to the front and then he has to go...so he never did make it up to the front of the line to get whatever it was he needed.

anyway...i guess what i'm saying is think of the simple things one uses in day to day life...and send it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom