Just all around new to chickens/Hens/Eggs

MossyOaks

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2017
Battle Creek Nebraska
Hello, I am new to chickens, we got 6 pullets in March.
We went with the mandatory 6 chicks from our local feed store. I was very nervous about having what I felt was a lot to start.

We started out with 3 Rhode Island's, 2 Australorp, and 1 Leghorn White.. Sadly the leghorn became very smelly (like rotten store bought chicken) now some may not agree with the choice we made, but I decided in the beginning I was not going to use antibiotics/hormones or any feed that was not non GMO. Yes I may sound picky but the whole reason of raising hens for eggs is to bypass all of this same stuff. We decided to put this leghorn down, she had a respiratory illness that even after treatment would still have been passed on to the other hens. And yes this site helped me in this process...

Thanks to a fast google search I found this site and it was very helpful for me to determine the illness of our leghorn and many other questions that have and will come up.

Basically our family lives in northeast rural Nebraska, I love being outside, and spring and summer gives me plenty of outside time. It's the winters that keep us inside "unless we are moving snow". We go camping and also have a Blue healer Named Pepper, and yes a Chihuahua named Willy. 3 kids two boys 18 and the other boy will be 14 in November. And a girl who is 12.

:welcome

I'm also very much into doing things naturally. All my chickens free range, even the bantams have their own mini free range set up, and I like to feed my chickens organically, where possible.

Happy you joined our community :)

IMG_0755.JPG
Yes,
That's awesome. There's nothing like the first egg.Can you post pics?

She laid the egg on the ground outside and under the coop..
Mine still
She laid the egg on the ground outside and under the coop..
Mine still have lip ups lol. No telling where you'll find an egg here. They free range. I found one nest in the woods with 30 eggs in it that one of my hens laid. Found them in boxes. on the porch, and some of my small ones decided once that it'd be a good idea to make a nest under my riding mower.

Congrats on the first egg!! :celebrate
Welcome to BYC! :frow
We are glad you joined!
This video should help you find your way around the site better as a member:

Back
Top Bottom