Just amputated a chicken leg

The incision is looking really good!
20210923_070723.jpg
He took a couple hops towards his food dish and he seems to be more active than yesterday. I kept scooting his food away from him to encourage him to 'walk' and he jumped into it and sat there for a whilešŸ˜‚
20210923_065457.jpg
I think he's realized I'm not going to hurt him and he has finally stopped biting me. I'm not sure when to take the stitches out. Does anyone know when should remove them?

The Microcyn is ok.
I would suggest that you give him a round of antibiotics. Do you have any on hand?

At minimum, I would go to TSC and get a bottle of Procaine Penicillin G. You will need a the smallest syringe you can find and a 20 gauge needle. He's small so I would dose him at .10ml per pound of weight injected into the breast muscle alternating sides once a day for 4-5 days.

If you can quickly get Amoxicillin (see if you can order those from your TSC - fish antibiotics) that would be better than giving injections.

Did you leave one end open so the wound can drain?

@Eggcessive may have some better suggestions for you too.
Definitely antibiotics, if the leg went necrotic you will almost certainly deal with sepsis, the bacteria will be carried by blood to the rest of the body. Also a tiny rubber or plastic tube stitched in the wound to aid drainage - or remove a stitch from the incision at the bottom end. Very fine job!! I don't think I could have done that :bow

Back
Top Bottom