Just an Idea

Flyman39

Songster
12 Years
Dec 24, 2007
West Virginia
I don't know about any where else in the country but here in southern WV people are buying chickens like crazy. The local feed stores and TSC are selling every single chick within the first few hours after they arrive from the hatcheries. The store where I buy my feed has people lined up two hours before they open!!!! My Idea is that a lot of people are buying them for the eggs and meat since groceries are going up. Here is where it is going to get good for all of us who have been raising them for years!! I figure that many of these people have no clue as to what they are getting themselves into and how much it is going to cost them to raise their chicks untill the first egg comes along. Also how much work is involved. I am thinking that there will be some very good buys in the local Traders Papers in a few months on half raised pullets and roosters. I am going to hold off this year on hatching my new stock just on a hunch that there will be a lot of people who will get out of the chicken business as fast as they got in to it. I hope that many of them will become permanet owners as it will be good for all of us and our hobby/lifestyle. Still, I have my doubts about some of them. Just a Thought.

The same thing is happening here. I go to get some chicks, and they are out! and lines were there! Crazy! I tell ya.
Oh and ducks too! I wanted a partner for my duck and Nope natta! So she thinks she is a chicken! LOL
K

Just hang on for a while and start checking the local traders. You will be able to pick up some bargains. I am willing to bet on this.

Last edited:
I was looking for more buff orp hens due to my over abundance of roos in my straight run order. I stopped at Meyer and was told the only thing they had was 44 white leghorns. The lady at the hatchery said they couldn't hatch them fast enough this year. They where sold out of almost every breed for 3 weeks. I just bought some white leghorns so I wouldn't have to wait. Something is going on! John

Back
Top Bottom