1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just an update on my bear...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SterlingAcres, Nov 23, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Now, let's not go starting any more arguments, so this thread doesn't get shut down...

I just wanted to post an update on my bear problem... The trash is gone, the dumpster is here and chained. Haven't seen the bear close by the house at all, he follows the deer trail through our back 2 acres... Until the past few nights. DH has been off work, so he was home and has been locking up the barn at night. Good ole' Butterball is now showing interest in my turkey and chickens. And venturing close enough to where DH was afraid he'd charge him.

Fantastic. [​IMG]

I'm wondering when he will get gutsy enough to break in.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    When is bear season?

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Actually, I believe it starts tomorrow.

4. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I followed much of your other thread. Did you ever get anybody to call you back about the bear?

5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Oh my. A bear. That sounds a little to close for comfort! [​IMG]

Are you allowed to trap them, shoot them, etc, if it tries to harm your birds?

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My DH wants to know if he can come to your house tomorrow? He said he could be there around 5am. [​IMG] He said to just have the coffie on. He will be the big guy in orange. LOL

7. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I've never seen him in the morning, so I don't know his route. I know he walks through my back 2 acres like clockwork. Just dark = bear on the move. [​IMG]
    It doesn't have to be me or anyone I know, but I hope SOMEONE kills this bear. He was also spotted by DH's coworker that lives 3 miles down the road too. I believe that was during the day.

8. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Honest question............ shouldn't that thing be asleep (hibernating) or something? My DH and I were just having this same conversation about bears and them breaking in!

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:pick my son up on your way [​IMG]

I was just thinking about your situation today as I was reading an article in the paper today saying how there have been several 800+ pound bears shot in Pa the last several years and how they expect a good harvest this year because last year was low. I've got to respect a bear who's been around that long....but at a distance.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:PA bears hibernate for just a short time but Im not sure when they start

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by