Just Another Barred Rock Gender Question

Philipiter

In the Brooder
May 26, 2023
Hello all -

We're new to the chicken-keeping world and have four birds, now 10 weeks old. Two reds and two rocks. The reds are distinctly different, one with a bright red comb and waddles and the other with a very small comb and small to non-existent waddles. The rocks, on the other hand, have been harder to figure out. As you can see in the pics, they both have combs and waddles that are about the same size as the red cockerel, but one is much redder and tends to be a bit more aggressive with the red cockerel. The other rock has a pinker comb and is a bit more docile. Any thoughts on the gender of the two rocks?

Attachments

• IMG-8780 (Large).jpg
    IMG-8780 (Large).jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-8793 (Large).jpg
    IMG-8793 (Large).jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-8807 (Large).jpg
    IMG-8807 (Large).jpg
    789 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-8862 (Large).jpg
    IMG-8862 (Large).jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-8896 (Large).jpg
    IMG-8896 (Large).jpg
    595 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-8902 (Large).jpg
    IMG-8902 (Large).jpg
    560 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-8905 (Large).jpg
    IMG-8905 (Large).jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 26
Someone told me to inspect both for saddle feathers. Is that something that would be obvious at 10 weeks? If I'm looking for longer pointy feathers at the back to indicate cockerels, I don't see any. Maybe they're still too young? Something else to note, no one has started crowing yet.

Edit: just found this video and it appears that barred rock pullets should look pretty much the same as the red pullets at this point.

The Rocks are very definitely cockerels. A shame, because a rock hen and a Red Roo will get you black star chicks.
The good news is that we have six more pullets on the way from My Pet Chicken. Two barred rocks, an olive egger, a black australorp another red, and a silkie bantam. We're going to try to keep the red roo and find new homes for the two rock roos.

Welcome!
If any of these cockerels is becoming human aggressive, he needs to be gone. Otherwise, give them time to grow some more. Maybe. One pullet is going to have a miserable time with three maturing cockerels!
You may need to separate these three boys, be ready with 'Plan B' at any moment.
Barred Plymouth Rocks do look different fairly early, the males have paler 'stripes' and bigger combs, and often thicker legs.
Mary

Someone told me to inspect both for saddle feathers. Is that something that would be obvious at 10 weeks? If I'm looking for longer pointy feathers at the back to indicate cockerels, I don't see any. Maybe they're still too young? Something else to note, no one has started crowing yet.

Edit: just found this video and it appears that barred rock pullets should look pretty much the same as the red pullets at this point.
It's too early for saddles and hackles. Bared rock cockerels will have brighter barring and big combs, such as yours.

Welcome!
If any of these cockerels is becoming human aggressive, he needs to be gone. Otherwise, give them time to grow some more. Maybe. One pullet is going to have a miserable time with three maturing cockerels!
You may need to separate these three boys, be ready with 'Plan B' at any moment.
Barred Plymouth Rocks do look different fairly early, the males have paler 'stripes' and bigger combs, and often thicker legs.
Mary
So far everyone has been friendly with us. The red roo and rock roo with redder comb like to square off on occasion, but they haven't really gotten into anything resembling a fight. Our plan is to pull the two rock roos out of the coop the weekend before our new pullets arrive.

Back
Top Bottom