Barred Rock Roo or Hen?

PREPPYGURL46

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2023
I have 2 16-17 week old Barred Rock chickens.

Roo/Rose (red leg band) had the larger white spot on it's head as a chick. After the pouring rain earlier this week, there are now 2 tail feathers sticking straight up šŸ¤¦ However, small and pale waddles and comb, a fluffy bum and wash on the feet/legs. Louder, wants to be with the hens always and the chick in charge.

Willow (green leg band) had an almost non-existent spot on it's head as a chick. Noticably darker, fluffy bum, wash on feet/legs but larger and redder waddles/comb.

I was sure I had two females but now šŸ¤”šŸ¤· Their body shapes are different too.

20230626_142000.jpg

Jun_26_2023_11_04_32.jpg

20230626_141924.jpg

20230626_142231.jpg

Jun_26_2023_11_04_35.jpg

For comparison, here is my beautiful Lilac, Queen Bee, champion egg layer (with her lady in waiting, Petunia, following closely behind). Definitely not as dark feathered as Willow but with quite a large tail area. Quite large and red waddle and comb.

20230626_142051.jpg

You can vent sex them if you want to be sure, but the red leg band one has an infinitly higher chance of being a roo.

I was hoping maybe the rain had just ruffled her feathers šŸ¤¦šŸ¤¦ I had "her" pegged for my daughter to show with 4H. Willow/green band is missing a toe nail.
Ok I think they might both be hens, because with further inspection of the photo I don't see any hakle feathers on the neck or saddle feathers on the base of the tail.

I was sure I had two females
They're both pullets!

Starting around 12 but well by 16 weeks gender specific saddle feathers are usually quite obvious like these examples from google..
1687962477491.png

1687962497748.png

Also boys would be sporting those red combs by about 8 weeks old.

You can vent sex them if you want to be sure, but the red leg band one has an infinitly higher chance of being a roo.
Vent sexing can only be done by professionals not by average backyard keepers. How would YOU go about vent sexing them? Please describe!

By this point you'd have crowing and hackle and sickle feathers.

Boys are more white than girls are..

Some roosters have crowed as early as 3 weeks or as late as 18 months.. in MY personal experience. Hens (not usually pullets)can also crow and crow spurs.

It's true that boys are supposed to be double barred and gals single barred.. giving the boys a much whiter appearance since they get two copies of the barring gene from their dame.. only problem is hatchery quality birds aren't always so clear and uniform and it can be VERY subjective.

Back
Top Bottom