Just bought a pair of Lavender Araucana chicks that are about a week old. New to the breed need to k

NathanE94

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
hey everyone just bought myself some Lavender Araucana chicks and i have done some research and know the basics now but mot quite familiar with some of the terminology and what not.. one of the main things i want to know is, how to i know for sure they are lavender araucana because i have read that the Ameraucana has a tail and aparently they are the ones you find in Australia(where i live) is this true? please help. also if there is any good advice or info that you can give please do, just looking to find out as much as i can about these birds as i now own some haha.

images

I don't know anything about these birds. I am sure someone will come along here shortly to welcome you in, that has this information. But if you can't wait, you can either post this question in this Araucana thread or you can post pics in the What Breed section of BYC once the chicks are old enough to ID them....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/288425/araucana-thread-anyone

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

Thankyou i will definately post a few things in the breed category of my birds just signed up so im just getting the hang of the forum and where everything is lol @TwoCrows

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

It gets a little complicated with what people call these breeds. Araucanas are rumpless (tailless), with ear tufts and muffs. Ameraucanas are muffed but have tails and no tufts. Also, lavender is not a standard color for Ams, so technically they would be Easter Eggers, which are mixed breed or non-standard colored birds. Lavender is a project color for Ameraucanas, so they are working towards standardization.

Post a few pics in the What Breed or Gender section of the Forum.

@1muttsfan so if they arent araucanas then they will be easter eggers not ameraucanas coz they dont come in lavender??

Post on the aussie thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island." Maybe they can identify them if you post good photos.

I will post in other sections aswell and also need to try get some clearer shots of them but heres a few so everyone can see what i have got now

Back
Top Bottom