Just bought a pair of Lavender Araucana chicks that are about a week old. New to the breed need to k

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NathanE94, Feb 19, 2014.

1. NathanE94

NathanE94 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    hey everyone just bought myself some Lavender Araucana chicks and i have done some research and know the basics now but mot quite familiar with some of the terminology and what not.. one of the main things i want to know is, how to i know for sure they are lavender araucana because i have read that the Ameraucana has a tail and aparently they are the ones you find in Australia(where i live) is this true? please help. also if there is any good advice or info that you can give please do, just looking to find out as much as i can about these birds as i now own some haha.

2. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  4. NathanE94

Feb 19, 2014
    Thankyou i will definately post a few things in the breed category of my birds just signed up so im just getting the hang of the forum and where everything is lol @TwoCrows

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

It gets a little complicated with what people call these breeds. Araucanas are rumpless (tailless), with ear tufts and muffs. Ameraucanas are muffed but have tails and no tufts. Also, lavender is not a standard color for Ams, so technically they would be Easter Eggers, which are mixed breed or non-standard colored birds. Lavender is a project color for Ameraucanas, so they are working towards standardization.

Post a few pics in the What Breed or Gender section of the Forum.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. NathanE94

Feb 19, 2014
    @1muttsfan so if they arent araucanas then they will be easter eggers not ameraucanas coz they dont come in lavender??

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Post on the aussie thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island." Maybe they can identify them if you post good photos.

10. NathanE94

Feb 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post in other sections aswell and also need to try get some clearer shots of them but heres a few so everyone can see what i have got now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by