Just brought home 3 new chicks, and one looks peculiar

cukuriku

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
I'm posting on this forum even though it may not be an emergency, but I simply just don't know how to look at the situation, so those that could give some helpful advice-thanks in advance!
I noticed on one of the chicks that they have some sort of crusting around the eyes (otherwise the eyes themselves look fine) and some crusting in other random spots on the feathers. Is this a reason to be concerned, or will it just pass? Is this normal for chicks that just hatched (probably about a week ago at most)?

What you are describing is not normal. Eyes should be clean, dry, wide-open and bright. There should be no crusty spots on the skin, either.

If you are sure that what you are observing isn't food residue, then post a few photos of the crustiness so we can get a better idea of what the problem might be.

Take the opportunity to observe them for any other symptoms: abnormal poop, wheezing/gasping/gurgling, lethargy, etc.Report back with a more detailed description of their condition, and someone may be able to help.

This one is the worse looking eye. This is the other eye-

These are the major ones, then a bit of crusting on the feathers on the back, but these pix bring the most attention to a possible problem...could it be from hatching? Of the three I have, this one is the smallest, and they're all from the same breed so this one is the teeniest I've ever had. They're all polish. Thanks

Ok, looks like no1's answering, but eitherway-i called back and they said i could switch, so here's the new cutey-

Sorry no one answered you in a timely manner. Most people are working now, I guess.

The crustiness should not have been from hatching. That looked like a bad eye or sinus infection, weeping pus and matter. It might have been the weeping pus that was crusting elsewhere on the body. Hard to tell. I'm sure they culled the chick when you brought it back.

Dunno what they're gonna do with it, but eitherway-im glad i have the new one, it was so cute
love.gif
i just couldnt leave it in the store!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom