Just brought home my first Heritage Breeds!

Whispering_Raven

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Ashland City, TN
I just got 2 beautiful Black Ameraucana's from BYC Member CityGirlInTheCountry and they are now sitting next to me in a box of grass clippings. They are doing so well! They seem to be rather comfortable. Cooing, and resting. They heard my Rooster Bandit and immediately perked up, so they know there are more "of them" outside, but I want them to get used to me and my voice before I introduce.

I have named them already and they seemed to respond. (?) The smaller one is Willow and the Larger (not by much) is Brannagh, which is Gaelic for "beauty with hair as dark as a raven."

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!
ya.gif

Thank you Anne!!!
hugs.gif

-Tracy

99290_blackberry.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful day with Brannagh & Willow!!! After I let my other babies out, I decided to bring the new ones out to the coop. I have a VERY broody hen who refuses to come off her nest, so I thought just maybe it would be ok to bring them outside in the coop. They seemed like they were getting anxious in the box inside the house. They had a BALL outside. Here's some pics of their first day outside at their new home!

First....Meet my VERY Broody Sunshine

99290_blackberry_011.jpg

Took Brannagh & Willow no time at all to find the roost and nesting area!

99290_blackberry_010.jpg

Then they wanted to get close to Sunshine, who was none too happy about that AT ALL. I took an old T-Shirt and cut it up and made a make-shift curtain that I hung up with push pins. That seemed to do the trick! Sunshine actually seems happier to have some privacy from the other hens as well, so I've decided to make some more.

99290_blackberry_009.jpg

Enjoying their day!

99290_blackberry_012.jpg

99290_blackberry_013.jpg

They are back inside with me, in the box, and they were VERY hard to catch this afternoon. I was told they were hen raised and not handled much by humans. They were definitely freakazoids when my son and I tried to get them back in the box. I didn't think it would be wise to leave them in the coop and introduce them to the other ladies just yet.

About noon-time, Diva was acting like her typical Diva self outside the coop and screeching at squawking.....I did bring Dolly in for a bit and she just stayed in my lap and watched the newbies with skepticism and caution. Diva ended up flying INTO the coop which totally surprised me. She sat on my shoulder for a bit then in my lap for a while and then jumped off toward Willow and Brannagh. No fighting, but Diva poofed out and screamed. Then she hopped up into the nest with Sunshine and laid an egg and was ready to leave the coop shortly after her song and dance.

I got all my babies outside fed, watered and tucked in for the night. Gave them each some blackberry preserves for a treat to say thank you for letting me borrow your home for the day.
smile.png
When I came inside for the night, Willow & Brannagh seemed restless, and for the first time I held them both (at different times) and they didn't even freak out! They hollared at first when I took them out of the box. I got Brannagh first, and she shortly nestled into my arms and cooed and fell asleep! She slept rather soundly until the dogs started barking outside.....I calmed her back down and set her in the box. Well, I decided to "grab" Willow. She freaked a little bit, but after softly talking to her and picking hitch hikers off of her feathers, she simmered down a bit. I started to pet her a little, and then all of a sudden she crawled up to my chest, (I was kinda laying back a bit on the sofa) and she nuzzled under my neck and in my hair and went to sleep!!!

As much as I hated to, I had to move...I started to get uncomfortable in one position a long time ago! LOL I then set her in the box with her sister. They both let out a very long coo and are now sound asleep.

I don't know when/how I'm going to put them in with the other ladies, but for now, I think we'll do it this way for a week or so and then I'll set them on the roost with the others at night-time. I've read so many different ways of introducing new chickens to an established flock and some are contrary to the other so I'm just going to follow my instincts. If anyone reading this post has ideas, I'm certainly open to suggestions!

Loving ALL my babies, and enjoying bonding with the new ones!!!! Thanks for letting me share my joy with you!!!
love.gif

Tracy

Back
Top Bottom