Just call me lil' chick murderer :(

MB - I am so sorry to hear this after all you went thru with the hatch. I would say that with the temperature problems, it caused development issues and affected the chicks in the end even tho they were strong enough to hatch. I don't think I have ever lost a silkie after a successful hatch and my groups are very unrelated (matched up from several different breeders and various bloodlines).

Let me know if you would like to try again and I would gladly replace them for just shipping.

Jody

Jody,

I hope I didn't offend you with my suggestion. I did not know where the eggs came from. It was just a random thought that entered my mind.
smile.png

Not at all Jean. I just responded to offer advice and support. I am sure that is a possibility in some cases, but not in this one.

Jody

I'm sorry for your loss
sad.png
They're such fragile things. Your chicks seem to have a nice set-up, so I don't know why your chick died....
hugs.gif

The babies are beautiful! Now if I can just get them to a couple weeks old that would be great! By the way, if you have an egg list, I would love to get on it!!!!

I will put you down. Will be a couple of weeks though due to the broodies, ok? I am doing 6 eggs at a time for now until they kick back in. PM me if you are interested. I have had several folks hatch nice vaults from my eggs, I think they are getting the better ones
sad.png

But I am just happy you have two babies. I am sorry that you had such trouble though. Between shipping and incubator factors and everything, it is good to get a couple. Now lets hope you did not get two roos... Please post pics for me soon.

Marie​

Thanks so much for all the replies and warm thoughts guys, I appreciate it and need it! I feel a little better about it all, especially after Jody's post about the development issues. Jody you are right, I was just hoping that because they hatched they escaped any further issues. The one little buff guy/gal is doing great though and I'm going to hold out hope.

I had no buff silkies before this so I'm still thrilled I have one, and I also now have two new babies that are just as stinking cute, so I'm ahead of where I wanted to be.

Its disheartening to say the very least.

Jody, I would love to try again, so please put me on the list! The incubator is empty so when you have eggs available let me know, I'll take em. I'll be sending you a pm shortly
smile.png

Marie, I understand the wait, and its just fine! Thanks for putting me on the list. As far as shipping and the other factors I'm prepared for that, so having two live chicks is so worth it. I guess I built it up so much that the let down when it died was too much! I probably should have expected it, but I guess didn't want to, if that made any sense.

I'll post pics as soon as I can get a shot of them when they aren't all sprawled out and snoozing
smile.png

You might want to carefully disinfect the incubator/hatcher and then let it sit in the sun. The temps and humidity make incubators the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. That may not be the problem at all, but it's one fix that is easy and it can't hurt.

Since your chicks are able to hatch and then die a day or so later, I would disinfect and try again!
smile.png

Don't give up. I hate when something of mind dies. I just want to quit then. But mom tells me to never give up something I like so much.

Back
Top Bottom