Just changed my signature line: 26 weeks and no eggs!

Wolfpacker

Songster
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Raleigh
:thun
barnie.gif
he.gif

Mine just turned 18 weeks, and I've been keeping a watchful eye out. None at 26 weeks?! Holy cow! I'd always heard that they generally start at 18 weeks. I'll be so annoyed if I have to wait that long!

I read that they can skip till spring if they happen to mature at exactly the wrong time of year--if they were going to lay in fall during a molting season, and then they don't get enough light in winter, they can wait till next spring to lay.

I know exactly how you feel. Some of mine didn't start till 24 weeks, and the only way I could tell who was laying what was because they all lay slightly different colors. I was sure I was the only person on earth who got non-laying chickens, but apparently they will lay really really well once they get started if they hold off till next spring.

Mine turn 20 weeks the week of Christmas and the week of the shortest daylight of the year.

I'd like to THINK they will start to lay regardless, but am realistic enough to not get my hopes up for anything until at least Feb or March.

I'm HOPING they will surprise me sometime before that though...
fl.gif

On a positive note, their combs/wattles are getting VERY red so that's a good sign!

I have one laying, started at exactly 18 weeks. I wasn't even looking yet. Now it makes me even more anxious for the other 13 to do something.

I'm playing the waiting game to. my 2 BSL's are laying an egg a day but the 7EE"S well they are starting to get their combs and wattles, it might be next spring before they start earning their keep.

Yep, peeps born late in the summer season may wait til spring to begin to lay. They will begin to lay large eggs once they start, without all the smaller pullet eggs.
Additional light in the coop, meeting the 14 hour requirement will get them going however.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom