Just checking again for the 100th time.. not mallard right?

All domestic ducks, other than Muscovies, are descended from Mallards. The bird from the original post has a lot of tan coloring and a lot of white on the wings, and cannot be a wild Mallard. It just looks like a mixed breed to me. No wildlife ranger is going to mistake that for a wild Mallard, so you are just fine having it as a pet.

All domestic ducks, other than Muscovies, are descended from Mallards. The bird from the original post has a lot of tan coloring and a lot of white on the wings, and cannot be a wild Mallard. It just looks like a mixed breed to me. No wildlife ranger is going to mistake that for a wild Mallard, so you are just fine having it as a pet.
Thank you, if she was wild mallard I’d be in a heap of trouble figuring out what to do with her now :’))

Better pics from today

Attachments

• IMG_2707.jpeg
    IMG_2707.jpeg
    665.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2708.jpeg
    IMG_2708.jpeg
    608 KB · Views: 10
That is a male Mallard in eclipse (summer/nonbreeding) plumage. You can tell by the yellow bill, reddish breast, and curled tail feathers.

Well, that Google stock photo was labeled Mallard hen, but you might be right. I only had my Mallards for the summer, and by the fall, they flew off for their southern migration. I just remember the males getting their colors in the fall, and then they were gone soon after that.

Here is another Google picture that is labeled as male and female Mallards....

1695518337582.png

It's been at least 20 years since I had ducks, but that picture is more or less what I remember in my flock at the end of the summer into fall before they flew off.

I agree. The new pictures you posted clearly show that duck is not a wild Mallard. Nothing to worry about.

You can get Mallards from a hatchery. Those ones often have a back toe removed, to show they're domestic raised. Wild(Flying Mallards), from hatcheries are required to have the back toe removed to be deemed legal.

Some of the first ducks I've ever raised were from Hoover's Hatchery, had both Pekings, & Mallards. Only issue was the Mallards didn't have the toe removed like is required.

You can get Mallards from a hatchery. Those ones often have a back toe removed, to show they're domestic raised. Wild(Flying Mallards), from hatcheries are required to have the back toe removed to be deemed legal.

Some of the first ducks I've ever raised were from Hoover's Hatchery, had both Pekings, & Mallards. Only issue was the Mallards didn't have the toe removed like is required.
This is only the second time I've heard any called "flying" Mallards.
Years ago I searched long and hard for a hatchery that sold real mallards. Good Mallards. I can't remember where I ended up getting them but I just got a handful of females.
Later I decided I wanted a male so I searched again and found someone on CL that had a male for sale. I stressed that I wanted a real Mallard not a Rouen or a looks like a Mallard. He said it was a flying Mallard. I was like cool, my Mallards can fly.
I guess I didn't have a clue what he meant but I bought it. Brought it home and set it down next to the girls. It immediately hopped into the air and fly off about as far as I could see then made a big loop and came back and landed a few feet from me.
That's when I got it..... oh a FLYING Mallard. Mine flew around the yard but they couldn't fly like that guy. I raised babies from them for several years.
The half and half babies I think were the perfect Mallards.

Back
Top Bottom