Just covered my run, any issues doing so?0

Doc7

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2018
Central Virginia
It’s been very hot and sunny, and I finally covered my run. It’s enclosed in hardware cloth but never had a cover in it before for shade/rain.

I put a tarpful or so of dry leaves I rake up from the yard or woods in each week, and each quarter I pile up 3-4 wheelbarrows that I shovel out (brown dirt by that point) and it is proving an excellent garden compost (only used piles that were 9 months old or older), and very nice soil.

Only issue is when it rains and eggs are dirty for a day, and when it rains for 3-4 days I just feel icky about it.

with it being covered. Are the leaves still going to turn into good composted soil? Is there going to be an odor now where I’ve never had one before? My thought was “dry is better” but I’m not so sure if the water helped break stuff down.

B9401FC7-FC7D-49BE-B9D5-CC8A673C35C5.jpeg
5BC3D226-2247-4509-A595-12258E93A8ED.jpeg

A tarp, you gonna have to make sure you dump the rain it collects.

Mine is covered with tin (metal roof for the yankees, lol)

negative, this is a plastic corrugated sheeting material at the same slope my coop (which is half this material where I had to replace it when a 40’ oak branch fell on across) and half asphalt shingles) has been for a few years. Rain will shed down the slopes easily, and Heavy snow load hasn’t been an issue in my climate. It is raised several inches from front to back on the front run, and the back run is peaked in the middle.

Yep, you'll still get that good compost with no added odor.
Drier is better though for the health of the birds.

thanks. I have heard people talk about odors from the runs and coops and I have never had one at all. I mean people on here sometimes talk about their neighbors Smelling their chickens. I didn’t know if adding the roof would change my system for the worse.

negative, this is a plastic corrugated sheeting material at the same slope my coop (which is half this material where I had to replace it when a 40’ oak branch fell on across) and half asphalt shingles) has been for a few years. Rain will shed down the slopes easily, and Heavy snow load hasn’t been an issue in my climate. It is raised several inches from front to back on the front run, and the back run is peaked in the middle.

Well I replied before. I still wouldn't add rotting leaves to the top of fiberglass. I'm a car guy but I've seen what an old corvette (fiberglass body) or old fiberglass boat looks like after its been sitting under leaves for a few years.

Well if nothing else the chickens should be happier about it... since my run is uncovered my flock always give me the side eye whenever it rains, so I'm getting side eye about 30-40% of the year. :p

Back
Top Bottom