Just culled my first chick... That was very un pleasant.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Andrewoutdoorslover, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Andrewoutdoorslover

Andrewoutdoorslover New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    Well, one of my baby chicks is gone now. Its leg was stuck out to the side, and the joint twisted. It was about 2 and a half weeks old. Poor thing...

I figured it was a slipped achilles tendon... Now I don't know. I tried slipping it back into place, but it wouldn't budge.

After alot of thought and a couple days of waiting, and it only getting worse, I took it outside, set it on the ground, and while holding it, put a bullet in its head.

I'm a seventeen year old guy and have killed things before... But this one actually made me cry [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And now I know I made the right decision, because even with trying to fix the leg after it passed, I would have had to twist the leg so hard it would have been in horrible pain. And even then it didn't stay.

Ugh

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    So sorry! It must be hard to lose a little one....at least it isn't suffering anymore. You did the right thing. [​IMG]

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I had to cull my first one today, too. Exact same age. I tried everything to get it's feet straight, but nothing worked. They kept getting worse and it was developing large calloused sores on it's haunches. It cried all day long and couldn't keep up with Mama and it's siblings. I finally decided that the suffering had gone on long enough. I didn't cry, but I am still sad about it. It was quite a fighter. Hang in there, we did what we had to and now we know they have a friend in chicken heaven.

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    [​IMG] culling is so hard.. almost impossible for me the first time.. you ended its suffering.. and that is a blessing.

Shelly

5. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Quote:i had to do this - it horrible and it was the same thing like this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by