Just curious..does anyone have one of these?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BeccaB00, Feb 1, 2011.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Just curious...

Does anyone have one of these?

Do they tire your dog out faster on walks?

I'm getting one for my border collie, and was wondering if

it would burn more energy if I put it on her in the morning walk

and then again in the evening. Both walks 30 minutes..And what

should I put inside of it? canned veggies? (in the can ofcoarse)

thanks [​IMG]

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22457

heres the link

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yes, I have one similar for my BC/Heeler mix. It's awesome! I put water bottles in it (2 per side, just drink from them evenly). I don't know that it necessarily "tires" her out faster, but it gives her a "job" and that's what's important with the working breeds. [​IMG] They've made our walks MUCH more pleasant!!!

3. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I guess it would work. But I wouldn't use it on smaller dogs, it might hurt their backs.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    My mom made a pack like that for our dog back in the 1970s. Charlie carried his own dog food for a nine day back country hiking trip. We never did finish the trip. We got hit with a record rain storm for the month of August. That record still stands. We ended up in a full rescue situation because of hypothermia. I don't think any of the family has hiked overnight since that trip. But I do remember that Charlie had a great time hiking with us.

5. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have one but have a suggestion about what to put in there for weight.If 2 lbs. is the recommended weight to start with buy 2 -1lb. bags of dried beans such as pintos.You can adjust the weight such as by using one or 2 bags on each side. I don't know the recommended weight to start with but the beans will be flexible so as not to hit her by flopping against her as she goes.
    This is just a suggestion as I remember during one of my physical therapy times I used different sized bags of beans as was suggested by the doctor.

Oh,and BTW if they do really well I have some dogs here that could use workouts.LOL!

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    one of those full of water bottles learned my pit bull to stop pulling...

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    My Coulter has one, he loves to 'work.' He carries my keys, spare leash, wallet, rabies info, snacks (human and canine).
    Get your dog used to it at home, don't strap it on and go hiking right off. They need to get used to the movement and the sight of it beside/behind them.
    Have fun - I love mine, err, Coulter's. [​IMG]

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    yep I got one of those. let them wear it for a few days just lounging around the house etc. What ever you pack in it, either line the pack with a towel if you use cans or bottles, or use soft items like rebel suggested. make sure you pack it evenly.

9. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Maybe I could get one and put a can of beer on each side so when we take our long walks thru the wood me and hubby could stop for a beverage. Or juice boxes for the kids, lol Sorry I needed to joke today. But seriously I carry a backpack with everything when we hike, it would lighten my load.

10. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I would LOVE to have one of those for my beagle/Ausie mix, Mr. Tibbs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by