Just curious what everyone is charging for eggs this year.............

Quote:
you probably never see it cause at farmers markets they usually sell out with in the first 20 minutes of opening, at least around here they do, only the early birds get the eggs at the markets. Beore I had my own I would get to the market as they were setting up if I wanted any of the good stuff like fresh eggs and cheeses.

Unfortunately the going price around here unless at the Farmers Market is anywhere from $1 to $1.75 a dozen. The local feedstore ( she has sometimes 300+ layers at a time ) sells for $1.75 a dozen. Hard to compete with that.

DD charges $2.50 and she has had a couple people sniff at that - "so much?" (Can you imagine someone trying to bargain down a KID?) She has held with this price, even though alot of folks in the nearby countryside are charging $2. She also delivers to offices near her music lessons.
I think that price has something to do with the overall cost of living in a community, but it is also influenced by how health oriented people are. Some people woulf rather spend $3 on chips & a coke...
roll.png

I would agree that I havent made an appearance at a Farmers Market that early in the am to see that they are there and yes......I'm sure they sell out fast. I'm thinking its time to give it a shot though. I'm used to getting up early so heading there for a few hours til I sell out of eggs wont be all bad!
Again.......thank you everyone for all your insight!

I made the mistake of charging only $1.50/doz because I was afraid that I could not sell them all otherwise...

Now I want to raise them to $2.oo and I am letting all my customers know in advance so it will not be a shock to them..

the grocery stores here charge at least $4/oz for brown eggs. (like mine)....

If I were to start out new I would check the local stores and charge the same..

and train your customers to return the egg cartons or charge them at least a $quarter for the carton..

I buy my used cartons at a local thrift store for one or two cents apiece... but it is a hassle,so charge the quarter$ ...

charge them the quarter the first time they buy eggs and explain that if they do not bring the carton back, they will be charged again.

people are quite smart and they learn quickly..
gig.gif

I agree... here in Portland, OR, nearly every stand sells some eggs because they are so popular and they all sell out in the first hour or so... and we're talking about one of the nation's largest farmers' markets that runs for 6 hours. Almost no one gets there in time for eggs. If you have access to a farmers' market, I say sell them there! The people who are getting great eggs for $1.75 or $2.50 and complaining about it have NO idea what a great deal they're getting!

Back
Top Bottom