Just curious who else is living super frugal

I had to reformat my hard drive, and I lost my Microsoft Office suite in the process. Excel is what I use to keep track of my spending; so I was looking at a hefty bill to replace the suite. But then I came across a free down-loadable suit that does, basically, what Office does. I've been using it and am quite pleased with all of its functions. It is called Open Office Suite. It works, and it is free.

So true!!! THose duck spoil water in minutes. lol Would probably need to do both. I'm NOT drinking duck water, lol .

In the spring the ducks use the runnoff to play in-- it is like a small stream that runs for a few months, all depending on the amt of winter snow and spring rains. THen dries up for the summer.

I'm sure I"ll Love the catalog-- j ust my kind of stuff.

You could easily make a fairly good sized pond in two or three days with a Bobcat. Amazing little machines that almost anyone can operate with a minimum of effort. If you could rent one for about 3 days (cost of roughly $300.00), a wonderful pond for the ducks could be yours and with just a little luck, you can 'divine' for underground springs and keep a water flow year 'round.

Turk if you could see the woods, even a bob cat cannot fit without some cutting!! lol BUt it is a possibiblity for sure!! My little grey cells are working over time. Maybe in late December is the soonest . . . .

Did I already mention this?
A couple weeks ago, my son came ruuning in " MOM, I think I found a spring!" Well I hwas skeptical, as I have been pretty much all over this property in 20 years . . . but to not burst his bubble, I went to go look, secretly hoping He was right!! NOT. Just an area of run off that collects the water and it sure looks like it is bubbling up water. sigh.

See, I live off pinterest... and BYC. DIY is the best thing if you are poor or not. In my case, me and my mother are poor and dont have a house yet but we have property with a huge bank barn and a Mobil home that we cannot use... So what we are doing is:

#1 Use Mobil home as CHICKEN COOP!!!!

#2 Nippler system

#3 Use rain water (Best thinking ever!!)

#4 Rescue and rehome

#5 Breed (I use rescued roosters for breeding but i never use my rescue hens for breeding, to me its just not right... even when they dont want a rooster around them.
There is a few hens that I have that really like one of my rescued roosters so I let them out with him and they all became a wonderful flock.)

#6 RECYCLE: Anything from wood to anything from GOODWILL! (My favorite place to shop for chickens) You will find anything and always keep your mind open... I mean it. I have used the weirdest things for my chickens and it works great.

#7 Reuse: Bleach anything you can for reusing it. Old wood from old barns can be turned into a chicken coop! We got hired to take down someones barn and so we got to keep everything, we reused all the wood and doors! Not to mention lighting!

#8 Make your own food: We havent gotten to this part yet but there is so many things you can do for this. Amish auctions are best when they sell food! I am wanting to buy a gaylord of watermelon for my 70 chickens for only 50 dallors... Thats like 20 watermelons in there if not more... depends on how big they are. Or other types of fruit. Pinterest has many other ideas.

HERE IS A GREAT TIP FROM MY PINTEREST! I found it searching so its not mine.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151081762474452762/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151081762473848474/

So yeah, I can keep going but this is how I have to live... Being houseless for 4 years, you learn allot on saving. Im just turned 18 and im already able to hold my own. Me and my mother have become a team. Somehow we have a business with chickens now? Rescue roosters on craigslist and rehoming them and keep a few for breeding with hens that were not rescued but you raised yourself.

Ive learned to get to know my neighbors, they are all good at gardening but don't have chickens so i give them eggs and they just so happen to give me their best veggies! WIN WIN!!!!
GOod job!!! Frugal is an amazing skill.

Nothing wrong with living in a barn, too, if possible. I look at how my horses live: like kings and qreens compared to many many people around the world. ANd I have slept in a stall when favorite mare was giving me signs.

Turk if you could see the woods, even a bob cat cannot fit without some cutting!! lol BUt it is a possibiblity for sure!! My little grey cells are working over time. Maybe in late December is the soonest . . . .

Did I already mention this?
A couple weeks ago, my son came ruuning in " MOM, I think I found a spring!" Well I hwas skeptical, as I have been pretty much all over this property in 20 years . . . but to not burst his bubble, I went to go look, secretly hoping He was right!! NOT. Just an area of run off that collects the water and it sure looks like it is bubbling up water. sigh.

More people can 'divine' than realize it. I use two good quality metal coat hangers...it really works. There are likely several springs....form a foot to a few feet down that never show themselves or are seen only in periods of heavy rain. Many of these springs run year 'round. You might be surprised what you can find with the rods, a good sharp long-handled spade and some strong backs....long before any Bobcat or Ditch-Witch come into play!!!
thumbsup.gif

Theres more work that we would have to put into that when we can put that same amount of time into the actual house...
Oh yes, I know what you mean. I live in a small mobile home and these things are not built to last. I will need to move out; so I am currently building a small house on poles. If you are willing to do it yourself, it is amazing how much less this kind of construction is compared to a conventional foundation.

Back
Top Bottom