Just curious who else is living super frugal

Thanks for clarifying. What's funny is that I rarely eat pork, makes my blood pressure sky-rocket . I usually trade it off for venison or beef brisket. We do considerable amount of bartering around here. I can't stand rabbit.
sickbyc.gif

We made our own laundry detergent yesterday. And, don't waste time grating the soap because if you microwave the bar for 90 seconds it turns into a powder. We made over five gallons of detergent yesterday for about .03 or less an ounce. Ivory soap, borax and laundry soda. Easy!

Quote:
Was it wild rabbit you had, because domestic rabbit is sooo different! Wild rabbit can be gamey and tough, but the ones I raise are so tender, and don't have ANY gaminess. It's not quite like chicken, but the people I've served it to (who said they hated rabbit) really enjoyed it.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, because it's a very lean, low cholesterol meat (and takes sauces very well) Yum
droolin.gif

Quote:
Well, I tried it, but I need to shop more often so we can have fresh veggies (we don't have a garden) So now, I'm down to 2 weeks. I buy the veggies in big bags at Costco, and after a couple of days, I blanch and freeze the rest. It's not quite as good as fresh, but sure saves on the gas.

Quote:
Hopefully Im not being rude here, I would like to know why rabbits are not ok to eat? I understand about pork but never heard about dietary prohibitions for rabbits. Can you give me more details?
Thank you

Leviticus 11 (the chapter is devoted to all kinds of dietary restrictions, but this one is specifically for land animals).

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.

3 Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat.

4 Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

5 And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

8 Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

I am not Jewish by nationality or religion, but I find it interesting that for years the "educated scholars" said that this passage was proof that the Bible was wrong. They insisted that the passage that stated the rabbit (or hare) chews cud was an error. It wasn't until well into the 1900's they discovered the rabbit does infact chew cud.

Also curious if anyone else has pulled off the whole grocery shopping once a month.

My family has been doing this for years upon years. The past few years I got away from it but will resume it this winter. It really saves one money and you tend to buy foods that are staples rather than quick or snack foods. The staples like rice, beans, pasta and all the accouterments that turn them into a meal are the cheapest and heartiest meals one can turn out for their family.

I've found that, if you buy snack foods for a month's span, they are eaten first and you are still left with making meals from the good ol' staples, so why not just buy the staples and skip the wasted money on the quickly disappearing snack foods?​

Quote:
I made some about two weeks ago. I did the powdered version, though. Did a small batch up, which is supposed to do around 64 loads -- wanted to be sure that I liked it. So far so good! It was easy! One box Borax, one box washing soda, and a grated bar of laundry soap (I used Fels-Naptha). Then I threw the mixture into the food processor to further break up the soap. Voila, it was done! Recipe didn't call for the food processor step, but I wanted to make the soap a little finer.

Quote:
I made some about two weeks ago. I did the powdered version, though. Did a small batch up, which is supposed to do around 64 loads -- wanted to be sure that I liked it. So far so good! It was easy! One box Borax, one box washing soda, and a grated bar of laundry soap (I used Fels-Naptha). Then I threw the mixture into the food processor to further break up the soap. Voila, it was done! Recipe didn't call for the food processor step, but I wanted to make the soap a little finer.

So what is the start up cost in purchasing all of these products to make your own laundry? If I went to Wal Mart to buy all of these ingredients, what can I expect to pay at checkout?

Back
Top Bottom