Just curious who else is living super frugal

TotalColour - FELICIDADES! Good things come to good people. (You are in for a whole ***load of goodness
big_smile.png
)

Does anyone here know how to make their own condensed soups? I have a bunch of "cheater" dinner recipes that call for cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup but that stuff has gotten EXPENSIVE (over a dollar a can!) and it's super salty. I'd hate to ditch some recipes that I could use on a really busy night as a simple dinner simply because it's gotten too expensive to buy the darned soups or the salt content makes me swell up.

Quote:
2x however I have found my stores selling those at 49 cents a can...Campbell's brand.

That's not a bad price. And I think during the holidays a lot of that is on sale, so you can surely stock up this time of year.

Quote:
I usually pick up whatever extra I can of cream of mushroom around Thanksgiving... they get down to about 88 cents/can. The cream of chicken never goes down though, at least not that I've ever found around me.

Quote:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cream-soup-base/

here's a recipe that might help, I haven't purchased cans of soup for years. once you get the hang of this recipe its easy to whip up in no time.
Idk how or if it could be made in batches and home canned.. I may have to figure that one out though.
if you make stocks with leftover bones, skin and veg cuttings you can use that instead of the boullion cubes and control sodium content better.

I make white sauce to substitute for cream soups. It used to be a basic recipe in cookbooks, but you may have to google for it now.

Back
Top Bottom