Just curious who else is living super frugal

PDA--

Blueberries can ripen at differnt times of the summer depending on the variety. Meaning some are early , some mid season and others are late. Though a bush cannot change from one to another-- unless you have some weather effect going on.
HOpefully you can put up some of the early produce.

I dream of getting a majic bullet and making good quality vegie drinks but dont have any recipes to try just in my blender for starters. Of course the blended blade brok and I"m waiting for a replacement . . . so time to gather good recipes.

PDA--

Blueberries can ripen at differnt times of the summer depending on the variety. Meaning some are early , some mid season and others are late. Though a bush cannot change from one to another-- unless you have some weather effect going on. 
HOpefully you can put up some of the early produce. 

I dream of getting a majic bullet and making good quality vegie drinks but dont have any recipes to try just in my blender for starters. Of course the blended blade brok and I"m waiting for a replacement . . . so time to gather good recipes. 

I had a magic bullet and liked it, but I like my ninja much better. It chops things for smoothies much smaller so you don't have bits to swallow. You will still have a few seeds like raspberry seeds unless you strain them.

Total count on birds processed this weekend: 8 Pioneer, 4 BSL, 2 mutts. 20# went into the freezer, 20 # resting in the fridge, and about 20# of backs and necks to cook down. 2 left to go: 1 more Pioneer, and 1 1.5 y.o. EE who is a feather picker and hasn't laid an egg since last fall. I'm totally exhausted. I didn't bother to save any of the fat or gizzards. but I did save the other organ meats to feed back to the flock.

Next spring I will be venturing into raising chickens for meat. Any suggestions on the best breed/breeds to start with? We are looking now at a third freezer, we have a cow which will be butchered in November and that with all the fruit and veggies we will fill all three of them!

Next spring I will be venturing into raising chickens for meat. Any suggestions on the best breed/breeds to start with? We are looking now at a third freezer, we have a cow which will be butchered in November and that with all the fruit and veggies we will fill all three of them!
the $64,000 question.

Go with cornish cross for the fastest return on your dollar; other option are longer to fill out but are popular too: rangers, buckeyes, and you can get good stock from breeders if you are willing to find them.

I usualy hae 2 freezers filled and just rotate stock. I have learned to can my turkeys too. Made some into soup too.

saving money by not buying a new blender-- ordered a part on line.

As for the food processor whose blade just broke, I have a bid in on ebay as NO replacement parts exist for this old 1987 model lol Pray for my sucess!! I'm just NOT buying new. First ebay bid!!

Won't work on onions sorry, but I do know of a way to store them for a while. Old pantyhose, yep, put a onion in the leg and tie a knot in hose or use bread ties and twist then another onion, repeat,etc. When you get the pair full or the knee high , hang in a dark cool place. Because they aren't touching each other,but yet the net material let's air around them they will keep a couple of months or longer depending on how cool they are kept. What I liked about this way of storing was when you need a onion all you have to do is cut the bottom one off with a pair of scissors and the rest stay put until needed. What a way to use old pantyhose or knee highs with runners in them instead of throwing them away. Hope this helps you, good luck.:(

Back
Top Bottom