Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote: I cant remember the reason now, but the company chose that depth for a specific reason. Part of it was water pressure; I suspect it might be that there is a house every 2-3 acres along the roads that need water from a well. I remember the well company taking about what the flow per minutes was but not all these years later I cant remember.

No public water here. I try to NOT need a drink while at the library or at the school-- yuck, it smells and tastes of chlorine. I recently heard that chlorine is not good for the natural bugs in our gut-- begs the question what does the water cycle look like in a human body. DOes the chlorinated water actually get into the gut area and kill off the microbes. . . but I digress.

If you remember the name of that devise that pumps drop me a pm. THen I can research it.

IWe buy bottled water-- for the bottles!! mY kids use them over and over and then lose them! Get a weeks use out of each one: refiledl at home with clean unchlorinated water.

Ya, seems like deep well water is pretty cold.

I still get angry when I think that my mother filled in her hand dug well outside the kitchen door. Seriously??? I cant imagine why she would want to pay for town water!!!! DOH!!!

300 feet is the approximate limit to how far a windmill can pump a column of water straight out of the ground.

The pump device is a hand pump.... youve seen them on westerns... they have a hook to hook a bucket to so you can fill one with water.

they still make them.
I have seen one like this set right in the kitchen to serve as the water faucet They have about a 25 foot limitation on how far they can draw the water. But if you placed your storage tank next to the house there would be no issue.

5YM61_AS01.JPG

deb
THis is great Deb!!

I am remembering years ago as when I was a babysitter for a former teacher of mine,a nd she would take the family out to an island ( no electricity) and the wonderful old farm house had a cook stove and the kitchen sink was a large deep sink with a pump at one end-- a hand pump. She usually did the cooking while I entertained the 4 kids. I wish I had paid more attention to how these things worked.

Just talked to DH, he doesnt think we have an artesian. boooo lol

I cant remember the reason now, but the company chose that depth for a specific reason. Part of it was water pressure; I suspect it might be that there is a house every 2-3 acres along the roads that need water from a well. I remember the well company taking about what the flow per minutes was but not all these years later I cant remember.

No public water here. I try to NOT need a drink while at the library or at the school-- yuck, it smells and tastes of chlorine. I recently heard that chlorine is not good for the natural bugs in our gut-- begs the question what does the water cycle look like in a human body. DOes the chlorinated water actually get into the gut area and kill off the microbes. . . but I digress.

If you remember the name of that devise that pumps drop me a pm. THen I can research it.

IWe buy bottled water-- for the bottles!! mY kids use them over and over and then lose them! Get a weeks use out of each one: refiledl at home with clean unchlorinated water.

Ya, seems like deep well water is pretty cold.

I still get angry when I think that my mother filled in her hand dug well outside the kitchen door. Seriously??? I cant imagine why she would want to pay for town water!!!! DOH!!!

Look at this...a rope can be used to pull the water by hand or a pulley system can be used to lift the water with ease.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-1384-lehmans-own-galvanized-well-bucket.aspx

In this situation I had to ask dad. I knew he would either have one or know where they could be found. It was both...

You can find the pulley wheel right below the 'bucket'.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Just started reading this thread. So thought I would chime in.

We try to do the once a month shopping for everything including the pet food and farm animal feed. Milk is about the only thing we buy weekly. I use to freeze that to when I had a full house. Now it's down to three of us and we don't use as much. My eggs I get from m chickens now. I want to plant a garden this next spring. I actually want to produce as much of my own food as possible. I am going to milk my goats after next kidding. This would be for milk and making butter. Also checking into raising a pig or two for meat.

Many of the family members hunt so we get a portion of venison. I have gone out to hunt three years, but not lucky enough to get anything.

I do almost all my household/clothes shopping at second hand stores and I have never owned a new car.

I have also gotten used materials for my barnyard needs. This week I used discarded materials to build(lol) throw together a temporary coop for my younger chicks, reroof my older hens coop and build their nesting boxes. I have acquired a skeleton structure with roof(was a roofed sandbox) to use for my buck barn. That will be going up this next weekend. So after putting it up I have to enclose it.

I use craigslist for finding materials as well or I will see materials I need at a persons house and I will ask what they plan on doing with it.

I will be adding three(free) goats to my herd early next month and I got some fencing and number of fence post out of the deal to. No cost for materials either. People are moving and can't take any of it.

The times they are a changing and I don't want to work 50-60 hours a week to obtain what I need or want. Also, I want to spend as much time with my family, friends and animals as possible. There isn't any thing out there worth 50-60 hours of my time away from those I love.

Look at this...a rope can be used to pull the water by hand or a pulley system can be used to lift the water with ease.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-1384-lehmans-own-galvanized-well-bucket.aspx

In this situation I had to ask dad. I knew he would either have one or know where they could be found. It was both...

You can find the pulley wheel right below the 'bucket'.
gig.gif
THanks Turk for the link-- and please tell " dad" thanks. Will have a look at that link.

I had another thought, too. Wonder if the boys would be willing to do a little digging to collect the runoff from the hill. MIght be a worthless effort but it might also work for a few months of the year. Would need to be dug by hand as too many trees inthe way to get big equipment in. Besides the boys are free labor and the machine is at least $100 a day. Even if it was $1 a day it wont fit between the trees where I want to locate the "pond". What is smaller than a pond? A frog pond?? lol

Just started reading this thread. So thought I would chime in.

We try to do the once a month shopping for everything including the pet food and farm animal feed. Milk is about the only thing we buy weekly. I use to freeze that to when I had a full house. Now it's down to three of us and we don't use as much. My eggs I get from m chickens now. I want to plant a garden this next spring. I actually want to produce as much of my own food as possible. I am going to milk my goats after next kidding. This would be for milk and making butter. Also checking into raising a pig or two for meat.

Many of the family members hunt so we get a portion of venison. I have gone out to hunt three years, but not lucky enough to get anything.

I do almost all my household/clothes shopping at second hand stores and I have never owned a new car.

I have also gotten used materials for my barnyard needs. This week I used discarded materials to build(lol) throw together a temporary coop for my younger chicks, reroof my older hens coop and build their nesting boxes. I have acquired a skeleton structure with roof(was a roofed sandbox) to use for my buck barn. That will be going up this next weekend. So after putting it up I have to enclose it.

I use craigslist for finding materials as well or I will see materials I need at a persons house and I will ask what they plan on doing with it.

I will be adding three(free) goats to my herd early next month and I got some fencing and number of fence post out of the deal to. No cost for materials either. People are moving and can't take any of it.

The times they are a changing and I don't want to work 50-60 hours a week to obtain what I need or want. Also, I want to spend as much time with my family, friends and animals as possible. There isn't any thing out there worth 50-60 hours of my time away from those I love.
Welcome to a whole new world!!

You are well on your way to frugal already.

RE the goats, I suggest cleaning/ trimming the goats feet and disinfect them before they make it onto your land. ANd use clean clippers to trim. Had a shearer trim feet one year and he used contaminated clippers what gave everyone foot rot. AN expensive mess. ENded up culling every ewe with issues. Arggg. YOu may already know all this . .

In other news . . . .
DH is still chopping the wood from a BIG oak a contractor dumped in the drive for us to cut to length and now split. It is all cut to length and we have enough split to cover one month. I am worried that the cold weather has arrived early. In past years I could wait until Nov 1st to start up the wood stove . . but probably not this year. We clean our own chimney rather than pay someone.

THanks Turk for the link-- and please tell " dad" thanks. Will have a look at that link.

I had another thought, too. Wonder if the boys would be willing to do a little digging to collect the runoff from the hill. MIght be a worthless effort but it might also work for a few months of the year. Would need to be dug by hand as too many trees inthe way to get big equipment in. Besides the boys are free labor and the machine is at least $100 a day. Even if it was $1 a day it wont fit between the trees where I want to locate the "pond". What is smaller than a pond? A frog pond?? lol

Lehman Bros. Has a lot of great stuff. You should order a catalog.

In your case, I think a pond would be almost worthless because the ducks will trash it, no good for drinking water. Getting water from your well will be so much cleaner to drink and cook with.

Turk

Quote: So true!!! THose duck spoil water in minutes. lol Would probably need to do both. I'm NOT drinking duck water, lol .

In the spring the ducks use the runnoff to play in-- it is like a small stream that runs for a few months, all depending on the amt of winter snow and spring rains. THen dries up for the summer.

I'm sure I"ll Love the catalog-- j ust my kind of stuff.

Linda-- how is the bicycle used???? Part of the pump system, or to get the ol' body to the 7 acres?

I was thinking of attaching a utility cart to the bicycle to get the buckets the 400 yd from my coop. Worst case scenario.
gig.gif
Maybe a three wheeler.

For drinking water it might be well to get a bucket and wheel from Lehmans for our well.

Last edited:
See, I live off pinterest... and BYC. DIY is the best thing if you are poor or not. In my case, me and my mother are poor and dont have a house yet but we have property with a huge bank barn and a Mobil home that we cannot use... So what we are doing is:

#1 Use Mobil home as CHICKEN COOP!!!!

#2 Nippler system

#3 Use rain water (Best thinking ever!!)

#4 Rescue and rehome

#5 Breed (I use rescued roosters for breeding but i never use my rescue hens for breeding, to me its just not right... even when they dont want a rooster around them.
There is a few hens that I have that really like one of my rescued roosters so I let them out with him and they all became a wonderful flock.)

#6 RECYCLE: Anything from wood to anything from GOODWILL! (My favorite place to shop for chickens) You will find anything and always keep your mind open... I mean it. I have used the weirdest things for my chickens and it works great.

#7 Reuse: Bleach anything you can for reusing it. Old wood from old barns can be turned into a chicken coop! We got hired to take down someones barn and so we got to keep everything, we reused all the wood and doors! Not to mention lighting!

#8 Make your own food: We havent gotten to this part yet but there is so many things you can do for this. Amish auctions are best when they sell food! I am wanting to buy a gaylord of watermelon for my 70 chickens for only 50 dallors... Thats like 20 watermelons in there if not more... depends on how big they are. Or other types of fruit. Pinterest has many other ideas.

HERE IS A GREAT TIP FROM MY PINTEREST! I found it searching so its not mine.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151081762474452762/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151081762473848474/

So yeah, I can keep going but this is how I have to live... Being houseless for 4 years, you learn allot on saving. Im just turned 18 and im already able to hold my own. Me and my mother have become a team. Somehow we have a business with chickens now? Rescue roosters on craigslist and rehoming them and keep a few for breeding with hens that were not rescued but you raised yourself.

Ive learned to get to know my neighbors, they are all good at gardening but don't have chickens so i give them eggs and they just so happen to give me their best veggies! WIN WIN!!!!

See, I live off pinterest... and BYC. DIY is the best thing if you are poor or not. In my case, me and my mother are poor and dont have a house yet but we have property with a huge bank barn and a Mobil home that we cannot use... So what we are doing is:

#1 Use Mobil home as CHICKEN COOP!!!!

#2 Nippler system

#3 Use rain water (Best thinking ever!!)

#4 Rescue and rehome

#5 Breed (I use rescued roosters for breeding but i never use my rescue hens for breeding, to me its just not right... even when they dont want a rooster around them.
There is a few hens that I have that really like one of my rescued roosters so I let them out with him and they all became a wonderful flock.)

#6 RECYCLE: Anything from wood to anything from GOODWILL! (My favorite place to shop for chickens) You will find anything and always keep your mind open... I mean it. I have used the weirdest things for my chickens and it works great.

#7 Reuse: Bleach anything you can for reusing it. Old wood from old barns can be turned into a chicken coop! We got hired to take down someones barn and so we got to keep everything, we reused all the wood and doors! Not to mention lighting!

#8 Make your own food: We havent gotten to this part yet but there is so many things you can do for this. Amish auctions are best when they sell food! I am wanting to buy a gaylord of watermelon for my 70 chickens for only 50 dallors... Thats like 20 watermelons in there if not more... depends on how big they are. Or other types of fruit. Pinterest has many other ideas.

HERE IS A GREAT TIP FROM MY PINTEREST! I found it searching so its not mine.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151081762474452762/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151081762473848474/

So yeah, I can keep going but this is how I have to live... Being houseless for 4 years, you learn allot on saving. Im just turned 18 and im already able to hold my own. Me and my mother have become a team. Somehow we have a business with chickens now? Rescue roosters on craigslist and rehoming them and keep a few for breeding with hens that were not rescued but you raised yourself.

Ive learned to get to know my neighbors, they are all good at gardening but don't have chickens so i give them eggs and they just so happen to give me their best veggies! WIN WIN!!!!
Hi ShelbyCoral! So why can't you use the mobil home to live in?

Back
Top Bottom