Just curious who else is living super frugal

Thanks for the encouragement. I went online to check out cheap sources for yarn and found myself making my own yarn out of old tshirts. It won't work for the socks really but I can do a fun cardigan for my daughter with it and a grocery tote for my mom.

What is the link for making yarn out of old t- shirts? This is something I could definitely do!
I love knitting, but the only things I've knitted so far are scarves and blankets. I love that it keeps my hands busy while watching T.V. or waiting for...whatever.

being a tight wad, I use bath towels that seem to get a few holes in the middle or a rip about in one half to one third of the length cross wise and rip/cut them into wash clothes or hand towels not for guest use mind you but why waste money on something you've already got but just need to alter it for size.....

being a tight wad, I use bath towels that seem to get a few holes in the middle or a rip about in one half to one third of the length cross wise and rip/cut them into wash clothes or hand towels not for guest use mind you but why waste money on something you've already got but just need to alter it for size.....

yesss.gif

Quote: Thanks for the encouragement. I went online to check out cheap sources for yarn and found myself making my own yarn out of old tshirts. It won't work for the socks really but I can do a fun cardigan for my daughter with it and a grocery tote for my mom.
Salvation Army sometimes has misc yarns. DO you have any in your area??

When I moved into my first apartment, I was appalled at the price of bath towels ($1.99 each), so, bought a few yards of terrycloth, and made my own sets of towels. I wonder if cotton T-shirts could be crochet into dish rags. Would they have enough "nubby" to them to get the cleaning jobs done? I think a crochet dish rag would be better than just a scrap from a cotton T-shirt.

My mother sent me this pattern. BUt as I cant read patterns, maybe some one else can make use of it until I can locate an interpreter!!

DISHCLOTH pattern

size 8 or 10 needles (straight or circular needles)

1. Cast on 4 stitches

2. Knit 2, then do 1 yarn over, knit to end of row. Repeat this for each row until you have 43 stitches forming one sign of a triangle.

3. Start your decrease = knit 1, then knit 2 together. Do 1 yarn over. Knit the next 2 stitches together, then knit across the rest of the row.

4. Repeat until you have 4 stitches remaining.

5. Cast off.

* You can buy large cone shaped spools of multicolored yarn at Walmart. Great bargain and you can get many dishcloths out of it.

Thanks for the encouragement. I went online to check out cheap sources for yarn and found myself making my own yarn out of old tshirts. It won't work for the socks really but I can do a fun cardigan for my daughter with it and a grocery tote for my mom.

What is the link for making yarn out of old t- shirts? This is something I could definitely do!
I love knitting, but the only things I've knitted so far are scarves and blankets. I love that it keeps my hands busy while watching T.V. or waiting for...whatever.

There are several places that have links to the tshirt yarn but I'll try to remember to post one tomorrow when I'm on my computer for you. Its pretty simple.

As I was breaking eggs this morning for quiches, I thought about the eggshells. Usually they are crushed and dumped in to the layer pens but today I wondered what else I could do with egg shells as a human food item or other ideas. 

Making a large quiche for brunch today and muffin sized ones for the kids lunch boxes. 

I use eggshells to make eggshell mosaics and I also crush them and add to the garden in fall when we turn the beds for winter.

MOsaics!!!! Lovely!!   

Do you crush the eggshells before ading to the garden??

Yep, I bake them at 200° until they are very brittle and then crush them up. We also add compost and lime and the ash from burning off yard debris, mix it all in, and then cover with leaves.

I have started making wash cloths this way too. They seem to last longer also.
I have also cut old towels into squares to line individual quilt blocks with. I have made two "quilt as you go" quilts out of scraps for my son and nephew. I am working on another patchwork quilt from scraps for my daughter. My husband's grandmother saved every imaginable piece of fabric. I now have them . I started learning to piece quilts and knit in my thirties (I am in my forties now) so it takes me longer and my finished products don't look as beautiful as those who started learning at a much younger age.
I have found that over the years I have learned much- canning, cooking everything from scratch, sewing, quilting, knitting, gardening- out of necessity because of circumstances. Lo and behold, I have found that many of these activities I thoroughly enjoy also!

Back
Top Bottom