Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote: Oh I sucked it up and went to apply for a one time pass to the local food pantry ( the one my kids and I spend hours working in the garden that donates to this organization) but the questions were frustrating and I eventually felt so humilitated that I got up out of my chair and LEFT. I think of all the hours my kids have worked at getting donations for the food pantry via Boy Scouts, and now the COmmunity Garden . . . . but it is all for a select few at the "Food Pantry" though fortunately I can get mediorce food at the church run "Peace of Bread" where I am ask NO questions, NO ONE is asked if they are truely in need there. THe organizer asked ME if I needed milk, I nodded, and she pulled a gallon from the church refrig. Still makes me cry because she was so generous. We will go Wed to a free dinner, and probably on Sat am for a breakfast. Can be hard when I know the servers. BUT as I said, it has opened my eyes!!!!!!

I found an article worth reading I think. A bit about why good food is frugal in regards to health and well being. GOodness knows I have skipped going to the doctor on so many occassions because the co-pay is so high now. sheesh.

To my frugal friends--

From Kay Schlegel Pratt's web site that I just discovered this morning.
http://www.essentialnutrition.biz/frugal.html

FRUGAL AND HEALTHY EATING Back to Nutrition Tips Page

Everyone’s talking about saving money these days so I thought I would also chime in with some ways to eat healthy and save money.

1. Eat More Beans. Lentils, pintos, great northern, black beans, garbanzos and soy all offer a good source of protein and soluble fiber, ideal for reducing cholesterol. Make bean soup (see one recipe idea below), add a few beans to a pot of rice, add beans to burritos, fajitas and enchiladas. Add a couple kinds of beans to soup. Eat hummus for a dip. Aim for one bean based dinner weekly.

2. Eat Eggs. They only cost 15-20 cents each and they have the highest quality protein available. I suggest making one evening dinner meal each week an egg based meal without meat or perhaps just a sprinkle of meat in for flavor in an omelet. Avoid daily eggs for breakfast however and eat a high fiber grain instead.

3. Make Soup. A great way to stretch meat, add some beans and vegetables and lots of spices. Quinoa is a high protein grain that is great in soup and boosts the protein of your meal without adding meat.

4. Eat at Home. Yes, even if you use some convenience items from the grocery store it’s cheaper and healthier than eating out. Buy a roasted chicken, a bag of salad greens, a frozen vegetable and a baguette. An almost instant dinner.

5. Try Tofu. Marinate one block of firm tofu (cubed) in a mixture of 2 T soy sauce, 2 T brown sugar, 1 T sesame oil, ¼ c. catsup and ¼ c water. Then add it to stir fried vegetables (broccoli, peppers, onion, snow peas, mushrooms and greens (chopped spinach, collards, turnip greens). Tofu doesn’t have any flavor but it will soak up the taste of this marinade.

6. Cook a Turkey breast. Cook a turkey breast on Sunday and you’ll have sliced turkey for sandwiches all week.

7. Buy Fish on Sale. Look for fish that is on sale for about $5-6/lb. This will serve 4 servings. Learn to bake, broil and grill fish for a low cost healthy meal.

8. Buy fresh fruits and vegetables in season. With all the money you are saving on meat and eating at home, you can splurge on regular trips to the store for fruits and vegetables. Stock up on frozen vegetables when they are on sale. A good rule of thumb is to make half your plate vegetables and/or fruit (1/4 of the plate is for meat and 1/4th is for bread or starch).

9. High protein and high fiber pastas with a meatless sauce make a low cost meal. Be sure to add vegetables to the sauce and make a salad too. Barilla Plus is one brand that has more protein/serving than an oz. of meat. It also has lentil and chickpea powder added making it high in soluble fiber (lowers your cholesterol). And it tastes good!

10. Buy a good refillable water container and skip the bottled water. You’ll save money and stop adding to the landfill or recycling bin.

11. Make your own 100 calorie snacks. Portion out your snacks into reusable containers or into mini zip-lock baggies.

12. Eat Less but only if you are overweight. Cutting 200-500 calories/day is a great way to save some money as long as you don’t throw the food away.

13. Decrease items in your grocery cart that provide empty calories like sodas, fruit juices, pastries, chips and sweets.

14. Last, but not least, make sure you use all your leftovers. Make a plan for leftover meat by putting it into a soup or a burrito or a stir fry. You can add lots of vegetable and some beans to stretch it out for another meal.

15. Spend a little money on this cookbook: Cheap. Fast. Good. By Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross.

Copyright (c) 2010. Kay Schlegel Pratt. All rights reserved.

Website Created by Trudy Thomson

PS. I just read on another web site that we dont convert ALA very well into EPA and DHA. BUT guess who does??? Our hens!!! SHe can eat lots of greens and make it into DHA/EPA and put it in her EGGGGGGSSSS!!! A great reason to feed greens to our chickens.

Thanks Deb! I have thought about offering classes on gardening or canning or processing...I want to do it free just to help people learn how. Maybe bring your own jar like you did, but just do whatever I happen to need to do that week so Im not going out of my way and helping someone else. BUT I cant find any of the local laws on doing so. I dont want to get in trouble just trying to help.

I know of many people that make cakes and cupcakes for parties and dont have a legal kitchen. It is win -win I guess, or else the recipient doesnt know the laws. . . . anyway, you can teach without the folks taking anything home other than a "gift".

THe laws are wonky. . . bake sales and churches are exempt . . .

Quote: Years ago there was the concept of THE VICTORY GARDEN. Based on WWII I think, when everyone helped with the war effort by growing what ever they could. THese days, we just go into debt for a war instead. The net effect is the same . . . so I do think it is time to bring back the Victory Garden, but it needs a cool updated name. SUggestions??????

Quote: Years ago there was the concept of THE VICTORY GARDEN. Based on WWII I think, when everyone helped with the war effort by growing what ever they could. THese days, we just go into debt for a war instead. The net effect is the same . . . so I do think it is time to bring back the Victory Garden, but it needs a cool updated name. SUggestions??????

Frugal Garden

I've never heard of miracle fruit before. Have you grown it or just heard of it?
I've not grown it yet. I'm going to try it next time I buy seeds.

Thank you ALL for your support.

I am grateful for all the chicken , duck and turkey that is in my freezer, and canned. Without BYC I would not have a larder full. I am grateful for not giving up on gardening when last year failed, but jumped in again this year and despite some crop failures, there is somthing to eat. The wild carrot is also available: meager roots for us and tops for the rabbit.

I am grateful for a new friend that works at a food bank and has been able to get a vast array of mismatched foods. I am grateful the knowhow for cooking. ANd a good supply of herbs and spices in the cabinet.

Put the peaches in the freezer already.

THe Lucky CHarms are going to the birds. That stuff is worse than eating nothing. One doctor rates such foods as less than zero as it steal vitality from the body by using up anti-oxidents to attack it. I beleive him. So off to the chiickens, or ducklings.

Cant buy any cat food now, but then having read an intersting book about feeding whole foods to cats and dogs, I'll be sharing the chicken with the cats and dog, and make the recipe from the book that is packed with vegies. A simple recipe but all real foods. Healthy pets decreases medical costs . . and THAT saves money.

Off to tend the garden.

Oh, picked up a striped light weight knit pant and cut into colorful kitchen wash clothes!!!
I catch and or cook food for the dogs. There is often sparrows in the chickens' coop. I just sneak up, close the pop door and net them up. Free dog food! And well fed on my chicken feed! My terriers will eat sparrows mostly whole, a few pluck them first before devouring the fresh meat. I will also find cheap meat at our local hispanic market which I cook in the pressure cooker then freeze in portions. It ends up cheaper and healthier than buying dog food.

I've not grown it yet. I'm going to try it next time I buy seeds.

I catch and or cook food for the dogs. There is often sparrows in the chickens' coop. I just sneak up, close the pop door and net them up. Free dog food! And well fed on my chicken feed! My terriers will eat sparrows mostly whole, a few pluck them first before devouring the fresh meat. I will also find cheap meat at our local hispanic market which I cook in the pressure cooker then freeze in portions. It ends up cheaper and healthier than buying dog food.
A neighbor and I explored the use of goat meat. We visited our local Hispanic market and bought a few pounds. It turned out very tough and stringy. Is there anyone here that has some experience with this meat?

Quote:
Braised is best with meat you know is going to be tough.... season the heck out of it.... sear for color then pour in your favorite wine.... Or if your not a wine drinker either chicken stock or plain old water... about enough to come half way up.... then cook it low and slow covered lid... Dutch oven or just a big roasting pan with a lid.

Recipe from the Boston Globe and it sounds yummy

Recipe from Food.com and it too sounds yummy

I have had barbecued goat at a party... Not my favorite But just about any recipe that you would use lamb in would be good as well.

Recipe that uses goat meat not legs Ooh and it has sunchoke puree...

To me goat is stronger in flavor than lamb... so season accordingly.... Fennel, Garlic, Rosemary, strong flavored herbage....

Oh and I have only eaten goat... but I am a recipe hound....

deb

A neighbor and I explored the use of goat meat. We visited our local Hispanic market and bought a few pounds. It turned out very tough and stringy. Is there anyone here that has some experience with this meat?

We had a couple of goats butchered a few years ago. Before that we'd been living mostly on venison and I really didn't notice a ton of difference. Most of my goat was cooked as some type of moist cooking, slow cooker, pressure cooker, etc. I seasoned it pretty much like venison or beef---onions, garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Sometimes we'd have pulled meat with bbq sauce. Chops were braised with a gravy--usually mushroom.

Braised is best with meat you know is going to be tough.... season the heck out of it.... sear for color then pour in your favorite wine.... Or if your not a wine drinker either chicken stock or plain old water... about enough to come half way up.... then cook it low and slow covered lid... Dutch oven or just a big roasting pan with a lid.

Recipe from the Boston Globe and it sounds yummy

Recipe from Food.com and it too sounds yummy

I have had barbecued goat at a party... Not my favorite But just about any recipe that you would use lamb in would be good as well.

Recipe that uses goat meat not legs Ooh and it has sunchoke puree...

To me goat is stronger in flavor than lamb... so season accordingly.... Fennel, Garlic, Rosemary, strong flavored herbage....

Oh and I have only eaten goat... but I am a recipe hound....

deb

We had a couple of goats butchered a few years ago. Before that we'd been living mostly on venison and I really didn't notice a ton of difference. Most of my goat was cooked as some type of moist cooking, slow cooker, pressure cooker, etc. I seasoned it pretty much like venison or beef---onions, garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Sometimes we'd have pulled meat with bbq sauce. Chops were braised with a gravy--usually mushroom.

Thanks folks - I'll need to revisit the market to give these ideas a try.

Back
Top Bottom