Just curious who else is living super frugal

I actually prefer it without the vegall.... I just used that as an extender if I have to feed more than three people.... Though I am a Musroom fan so every once and a while I will throw in a half a tub of sliced mushrooms when sauteing everything.... Get those cooked very well before putting any liquid in or they will absorb too much liquid and loose their flavor.

So SOS with mushrooms.

Saute mushrooms in a little bacon fat or butter first.... Get em really brown. Add in the onions till they are translucend THEn add in the meat season with salt and pepper... Then add in the soup.

deb

I like mushrooms too, but isn't that were the mushroom soup comes in?
Each spring, I hit the fields on a mushroom hunt. I'm not an expert, but I know some of the species that I can safely eat. It is summer, now, and all I have are canned mushrooms from the store - fresh mushrooms don't last long enough for only me - even in the fridge.

I like mushrooms too, but isn't that were the mushroom soup comes in?
Each spring, I hit the fields on a mushroom hunt. I'm not an expert, but I know some of the species that I can safely eat. It is summer, now, and all I have are canned mushrooms from the store - fresh mushrooms don't last long enough for only me - even in the fridge.

Try storing the fresh mushrooms in a paper bag in the fridge. I did this once years ago, just because that was how I brought them home from the store. Turned out the ones I didn't use right away dehydrated nicely. Ended up making a rough powder out of them and adding them to various recipes. That worked well since my son liked the flavor, but couldn't stand the texture of mushrooms. I've done this numerous times since then, when I have access to more mushrooms than I can use in a few days.

Wonderful idea. My hubby likes them fresh in a salad, but can't tolerate them cooked. However, he has noted that when I put mushrooms in a sauce or soup that the flavor is more robust. So, now... not complaining about their presence, simply pushes them aside, and occasionally hands his plate over so I can add them to my plate. Same with garlic. Doesn't like the smell of it cooking, but likes the finished product. I think a lot of taste preferences go back to the way folks were raised. Growing up without having a huge array of spices, veggies, and varied menu in the diet often results in a picky adult.

Quote:

Wonderful idea. My hubby likes them fresh in a salad, but can't tolerate them cooked. However, he has noted that when I put mushrooms in a sauce or soup that the flavor is more robust. So, now... not complaining about their presence, simply pushes them aside, and occasionally hands his plate over so I can add them to my plate. Same with garlic. Doesn't like the smell of it cooking, but likes the finished product. I think a lot of taste preferences go back to the way folks were raised. Growing up without having a huge array of spices, veggies, and varied menu in the diet often results in a picky adult.
Oh mannn what an awesome idea..... I always buy tooo many because i love them so.... I have family members that dislike mushroom texture too.

Try storing the fresh mushrooms in a paper bag in the fridge. I did this once years ago, just because that was how I brought them home from the store. Turned out the ones I didn't use right away dehydrated nicely. Ended up making a rough powder out of them and adding them to various recipes. That worked well since my son liked the flavor, but couldn't stand the texture of mushrooms. I've done this numerous times since then, when I have access to more mushrooms than I can use in a few days.

I tried dehydrated mushrooms once. The flavor was still there, but the texture was like chewing on a piece of rubber - even after soaking. I never thought of grinding them up and then soaking them ... great idea! I'll have to give that a try.

Dehydrated mushroom powder also acts as a thickener for soups or sauces. Nice for the low carbers, and very flavorful!

We've not been very frugal around here lately. I've got to re-read some posts and get inspired to get back with menu planning and such.

What do you all do with ham hocks besides beans or split pea soup? I don't know who all's hocks I got last time, but we must have had mutant hogs. There were only two, but I swear I came home with over a dozen packs of ham hocks.

Hubby and I are embarking on a new chapter of our lives. After sharing our home in one fashion or an other, (including raising grand kids) for 35 years, we are finally, officially, empty nesters. This will entail a whole new mind set in the kitchen. My goal: cut back, utilize everything, clean the "dead wood" out of the pantry and freezers. Meals can be as simple as a garden salad, with a few fresh strawberries (from the garden) some cheese, a bit of left over sliced meat, and a vinigarette dressing. Have to remember the bread to keep hubby's BS from bottoming out.
Geez LG, I totally avoided bread to keep my BS on track.....vegies and meats and fats kept it running even at all times. Generally chucked the carbs like bread, pasta, and grains. Fewer fruits, too. Did have a Ben and Jerry's occasionally. Laughing.

Are you a type I or a type II??? He's an atypical type I. Total pancreatectomy. Insulin pump. So, he needs those carbs and fats to keep him on an even keel. Even something as simple as increased activity level (walking, riding lawn mower, etc.) will send him into a low BS if he doesn't compensate by shutting off his pump or eating more carbs.

Over the years of reading meaningful information on weight loss, one fact was made clear. There are good health benefits to eating sufficient protein every day. Supports not only muscle, but also it is involved with making hormones and other critical biochemicals in our bodies.Beef contains nutrients are body can readily absorbe like iron and another important chemical not in other animal proteins.

One book went so far as to provide a complex calculation of protein need based on lean body weight, level of activity and level of obesity. ( Remember all that extra weight is l ike carrying one or more bowling balls.) Once that protein level was determined, which was the MINIMUM intake , other foods were added. For me, about 4 decks of cards a day of animal protein.

We are getting bread from a food pantry, all the left over after serving those stopping by. Giving it to the ducks, chickens, and dogs mostly. In addition to other feed stuff. Kids jump into the bread and forget about vegies. I'm always pushing the vegies. Cheap insurance against illnesses.

I roast or grill most of our meats to create great flavor. Then make it into stew, soups and stir fries, etc. Have been sprouting lentils to add to salads and stir fries.

Still buying mostly what is on sale and cheap. THen creating meals around those items. Used up all but a couple cans of tomatos. Spagetti with tomato sauce is a great start to a tasty meal by change up the meats: sausage, hamburg, turkey, chicken etc.And add another vegie, cauliflower is ok. Beans work too. Chopped carrots. and onions. Dogs get them trimmings in a stew, and parts from a stewed chicken we prefer not to eat like the mushy skin. ( crispy skin is great! Gooey goes to the dogs. lol)

Tried to make a corn meal mush from 3 cans of corn-- used a bit of milk and cream in a rue, added the corn after running it thru thru the blender and added salt and cayenne pepper. no meat in this one. BUt you could.

Have two cans of refried beans, so will make home made tortillas using bulk-purchased corn meal. I make a running batter of cornmeal and water and spoon into a greased fry pan to make a very thin pancake. Quick and easy.

Yup, loved the dandilions in the spring. Found purslane too!!!!! Boy is THAT good!

Only plant dwarf sugar gray peas. The greens are edible. Have a bunch dried. Will likely grind up for the dogs. Tastes like amild grass for those that have enjoyed chewing on a blade of grass, lol Planted in the spring and in the fall. BUlk seeds are available from Johnny's.

I use vinegar to hold extra sprouts from turning--sort of like pickling. Use OOoil and vinegar, or similar salad dressing.

Havebeen trying to use grass fed organic butter, but is hard to find and expensive. IMO because I use a lot of butter ( and OO), this is potentially a big source of bad oil-solvent type chemicals.

I have become concerned about the chemicals in our foods. The fat soluable types of chemical are the worst as they usually collect in our fat tissue rather than be eliminated via urine like the water soluable types. AND from what I could google for information, Omega-3 and omega 6's are proportionally way out of wack given the current methods of feeding the commercial meat animals. Grass fed meats have a far better profile for these. Given the cost of health care, I'm opting to move toward the more costly foods.

However, having said that, I TOTALLY realize that at the food pantries and the community dinners and breakfasts, carbs are the staple food. While this is " food" I'm not convinced this equates to " health" , and I mean " good" health. grinn.

I pick sour clover in the summers to add to my greens. Not sure the common name or the botanical name.

Still working toward better health.

Back
Top Bottom