Just curious who else is living super frugal

And that less than $10 provides several gallons of great laundry soap! Once you are hooked on it, look for sales of the ingredients and purchase lots.
My house has been paper towel free for about a year.. (except for new baby chicks) my next project will be the family cloths. Seems an easy switch as its just me and my 2 boys. They may complain a bit, but hey, that's par for the course with kids!! lol Also, they spend almost 1/2 time with their dad..
I am also considering using all these bandanas as hankies and no longer buying boxes and boxes of facial tissue. They are here so I might as well use them!

Quote:
Were the ingredients posted on this thread? Did I miss it?
hide.gif

Quote:
Several gallons!!!! ????? WOW !!!!!
ep.gif

Ewww. Hankie for all those boogies? my grandpa still uses that today.I wont wash clothes and open some crusty boogie filled hankie,all dried and crispy.
sickbyc.gif

The soap recipe I got was:
1 bar of fels naptha soap grated in a cheese grater (a lot of other people used whatever brand of soap was on sale)
1 cup of borax
1 cup of arm & hammer washing powder
In a large pot place a gallon of water to boil, stir in the grated soap (it was recommended that you not dump it in all at once.)
Once the soap is dissolved, add it to a 5 gallon bucket that has 2 gallons of warm water in it.
Stir in the borax and A&H and dissolve that.
Cap it and store it 24 hours before use.
It should become gelatinous and you would stir it before using.
Scoop out one cup for a large load of wash.
Since I have been using commercial laundry detergent I will simply pour the mixture into these bottles so I can more easily shake it up and then pour it out without gooping up my hands.
I chose this recipe because it is phosphate free and low bubbling.
Again, this is only one recipe - there were about a hundred that I found right off the bat. And everyone assures me "it really is just that easy".

Back
Top Bottom