Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
I have all the kitchen gadgets, food processors, mandolins etc, yet use my knives more than anything! I was lucky to get some really good one for Christmas a few years ago. And a kine sharpener. Besides, if you use the gadgets, then you have to spend more time cleaning them. It's so quick with a knife.

Same for bread making - the machine is sitting on a garage shelf, I do it by hand. And a big plus, you get a good workout kneading the dough. So, if you are really mad at someone, make bread and pretend it's his/her head you are smashing. Good tension reliever
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have all the kitchen gadgets, food processors, mandolins etc, yet use my knives more than anything! I was lucky to get some really good one for Christmas a few years ago. And a kine sharpener. Besides, if you use the gadgets, then you have to spend more time cleaning them. It's so quick with a knife.

Same for bread making - the machine is sitting on a garage shelf, I do it by hand. And a big plus, you get a good workout kneading the dough. So, if you are really mad at someone, make bread and pretend it's his/her head you are smashing. Good tension reliever
big_smile.png

I really lucked out this summer. I was in a thrift store not too far from Dartmouth College and came across a set of Sabatier knives (made in France)in a wooden block...the whole set including the sharpener for $5.00. I looked on line and just the paring knife was $35.00 new. the carving knife was $130.00 It's a great set of tools and I use them everyday.
celebrate.gif

I bought a set of Henkels knives years ago at Costco, and also love my Old Hickory high carbon steel knives so easy to sharpen, but this summer I found a Henkels slicer knife at a garage sale for $1.50 and right now it's my favorite. Ihave a meat slicer as well to make awsome sandwiches when we have a big roast.

Last edited:
We are to the point where it's almost a necessity. Very hard on my DW.... although the first 13 years of our marriage we were extremely frugal, now we are trying to remember how things were back then. It's hard.

... and I'm losing weight!
thumbsup.gif

I didn't read through all 83 pages, but I
grow and freeze my own veggies
will be selling eggs
sew for friends
have sold a few articles/devotionals
hunt at 2d hand stores for authentic stuff that is mispriced and easy to resell/clean up(found two old wicker strollers, purchased both for 12 bucks each, resold one for 200 bucks, keeping the other). bought beat to death antiques to redo and sell. Only go to these places with cash and won't buy unless I know the market value and ability to resell. A good source for quick sales are the puzzles and board games that are UNOPENED. Particularly children's puzzles. Usually purchased at the second hand places for 10-50 cents, resell through ebay is usually around 6-10 dollars. Same with old toys, but use caution and don't buy if they are high priced. Also scout garage sales and church rummage sales.

If you are planning a trip through an expensive town, stop off at their second hand stores. Out here American Vets are usually cheaper than Goodwill unless they are having sales. Spend quality time at the bookstores in libraries. Books are super cheap, and looking inside the hard backed books can often show autographed copies that are missed when donating.

My first hand cranked Atlas pasta cutter I got from my grandmother. I've purchased other ones from second hand stores for nearly nothing and give pasta lessons or get together with friends to make big batches of pasta/soups to freeze. Buy semolina/whole wheat/white/ect flours/seeds out of bins for less money. Also goes for all dried beans/peas. Make big batches of tomato sauce/speggetti sauce/chili/soups then individually freeze them in freezer bags. If I make a cassarole, I make at least double and freeze. Homemade breakfast burritos, then freeze them individually. Making my own buscuit mix, yogurt in a crockpot, laundry soap.

I also switched all liquid care products (like shampoo/conditioner/soaps) to pumps. Kids learned that two pumps per bottle was enough for shampoo or whatever instead of wasting/spilling extra.
use vinegar and water for most spills or to shine glass. Doesn't streak.

When I water outside, on a timer. All showers are timed. With one minute warning. Infringements mean donating a dollar to the family pot.

Quote:
th.gif
That's one heck of a find! Sweet! I would use them often and with a big smile. lol
lol.png

Wow! Am I envious! What a find
thumbsup.gif

I am jealous!!!!!!

Quote:
You know, sometimes the men in our lives think we are fragile creatures, when really we all all quite tough (most of us!). I know, I'm sure you are like my "most glorious spousal unit", you probably want to give her the moon. She knows
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom